I LOVE the HSI futs!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by riskarb, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Wow.

This thing even gaps intraday.

This must be between the morning and afternoon sessions.

I assume they actually close trading during "lunch".

• hsi.png
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
    #31     Dec 7, 2004
  2. jim c

jim c

yes.....i think this is the gap between sessions. i have been watching it at night (in chicago) and im amazed at the way it moves. i am also interested in any news events that might affect this market. Also if someone could give me a snapshot or two of the market depth for the hang seng. this would be nice to see. im curious about liquidity and volume. i can see the volume is between 20 and 50k per day, just curious about how it looks intraday. thanks in advance jim

#32     Dec 7, 2004
  3. Made a trade on this sucker last night.

This thing is frickin crazy !!

Price can print at 13997 and then print at 14004 in seconds with nothing in between.

The bid or ask flip from 1 point to around 7 points above or below the last print, at times.

The chart looks great though.

Still searching for some kind of calendar to see if there are times/days to be wary of news releases.

Do they do that over there ? (he he)

#33     Dec 9, 2004
  4. Ditch

Ditch

I don't know the HSI, but generally skipping has a high probability of indicating a top or bottom.

#34     Dec 9, 2004
  5. mokwit

mokwit

Think of 10 HSI points as a handle or level i.e roughly same as 1 point (handle) on ES. A point on HSI is de facto a micro tick. i.e a two point stop strategy in ES is 20 HSI points.

Think in terms of areas or regions not precise levels as it can be thin and can be ticked up 10 or more HSI points by a few single prints.

Slippage normally 0-3 ticks with a STP MKT, more possible if using a straight ATM order. A lot more when you hit an air pocket. That fleeting 60 point profit can become a 30 point profit in the time it takes to close out ATM when it hits resting stops.

I suspect but can't verify that using IB may well give an execution edge over most other players. Slippage with IB has always been of the uh huh Ok rather than WTF variety relative to conditions.

Hi Ditch, It skips at turning points, but quite often at points in between......

All other markets are slow and dull once you have had a taste of the real thing.

#35     Dec 9, 2004
  6. Yeah, Tradersavvy, it's a great market. You need to trade half your size as it's so amazingly volatile. I trade a mean-reverting strategy based upon normalized-vols in Asia and leading market vols in the US. I've been trading it for 2 weeks so my experience in nil, but I've had wildly positive results in it.

#36     Dec 9, 2004
  7. TGM

TGM

a couple questions. Where are you guys getting your data? Cqg? I cannot find the hang seng quote for Cqg!

Are you guys using charts? 3min? 5 min????

thanks If RiskArb is making money in it -----I got to get in on this----to bad I cannot pull them up on TT!

RiskArb---merry christmas! I will GMail you!

#37     Dec 9, 2004
  8. jim c

jim c

nice to hear your thoughts/experience. i was watching last night (15 min delay w/future source) and i saw it move aprox 25 ticks with only 3 prints in between. that is a little discouraging just for the fact that any resting stop could see some serious slippage. i have been looking for any news events that might affect this mkt also but havent had much luck. i cant even find too much old news on it. i mean as far as market moving stuff. i really appreciate any more info you can provide on it. are u trading it with IB? just curious about your charts/quotes ect.. i have also heard good things about TOPIX on the TSE but again im unable to find otu alot of info. any info i get about either product i will pass on. thanks again and good luck. jim

#38     Dec 9, 2004
  9. mokwit

mokwit

NO TT NO CQG coverage. eSignal have it l. Futuresource also have HSI, otherwise its BBG or Reuters.

Am using IB with Sierra. Ditched eSignal as I prefer to trade off real time data. Sierra IB combo should be a disaster waiting to happen but is has not proved to be in practice and HK IB service is nothing to complain about - answer in 1 or 2 rings.

I use 5 minute chart for deciding on wether there is a trade there and tick chart to look inside the candle action. Some stuff is set up on 3 min and 1 min. 1 min I look at because of looking at volume closely but would probably better off not looking 1 min candles as noise factor is too high.

#39     Dec 9, 2004
  10. jim c

jim c

great info from both of you. mokwit..i agree with you as far as placing your stop a little farther away. great info for someone thinking about trading it. any other info would be greatly appreciated. jim

#40     Dec 9, 2004