I LOVE the HSI futs!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by riskarb, Dec 5, 2004.

1. HSI-200412-HKFE .... Sierra version of IB symbol.

And the person who suggested not blinking was right :)

#11     Dec 6, 2004
  2. def

def Sponsor

You need to take into account the volatility, price of the index (14,000) and that 2 ticks is noise in this market.

Avg daily volume is roughly 20K per day. During rollover it can go over 100K per day as the Open interest is over 100K.

Heres's the info from the last month.
    http://www.hkex.com.hk/futures/statistics/DailyStatistics_F1_HSI.htm

IB charges $60 HK RT and as low as $37 HK RT inclusive of all exchange fees for those choosing the unbundled rates. This is amongst the best in Hong Kong and given the volumes on the exchange, I think these are extremely good rates.

#12     Dec 6, 2004
  3. jim c

jim c

Ive been watching the HSI at night also. I work for a MM firm and Im not allowed to trade my account during US hours. The HSI hours are great for someone in Chicago.. 7:45 to 10:30 for the first session and it does really move. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the TOPIX. I read here somewhere that it was a great product also. Any additional info on HSI or TOPIX would be great. Any news events to watch out for? thx all. jim

#13     Dec 6, 2004
  4. #14     Dec 6, 2004
  5. jim c

jim c

i think that those are HK dollar margins. To get the US dollar u need to divide by 7.75. The HK dollar is pegged to the US so I dont think it fluctuates much. I think its the same on the commission...around 8.00 RT for IB I think (US dollar). Hope this helps. jim

#15     Dec 6, 2004
  6. def

def Sponsor

Jim C, you think correctly, the HKD dollar is pegged to the USD and the commisons and margins quoted were in HKD.

#16     Dec 6, 2004
  7. Oh.

Thanks.

That sure changes things.

#17     Dec 6, 2004
  8. TGM

TGM

I have never daytraded the Hang Seng--only positon. But it DOES fly. It is a big mover. I prefer it to the NK on Simex. If you do position trade the hangseng. Make sure you got some dough in your account. It is the KING of gaps!

The hang seng has a mini! It is 1/10th I believe. I have never traded it. But they had it---or have it??? Someone chime in on that one??

Oh and those commissions rates from IB are good--very competitive.

If you guys like those trading hours you should check out the SGX MSCI Taiwan Index Futures. It has an open interest of around 100k. However, it may still be partially open outcry. Keep this one in mind as SGX (Simex) goes to new electronic protocals.

#18     Dec 6, 2004
  9. robbob

robbob

I checked with IB about a year ago and the mini Hang Seng and it wasn't available for US customers.....could be different now however.

-rob

#19     Dec 6, 2004
  10. TGM

TGM

Kind of odd. I just checked. It is 1/5th and is ILLEGAL for US citizens to trade! Gee trad'em and go to jail!

The Hang Seng itself is more liquid. 100k open interest in the Dec. full size hang seng. Not even 1/10th of that in the mini.

#20     Dec 6, 2004