I LOVE taxes!!!

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by granville, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Science_Trader... Although I qouted the guy in thinking that he was pretty accurate from all that I know of the Swiss communities... I'm hoping to not be part of your arrogant sh*t list of people... You are definetely one of the few people that know what they're talking about on this website... Some of your advice along with a few of your buddies made me a good trader right out of college... What made you so mad about what the poster said? I mean you do have to admit you and nononsense have it pretty good out there... wouldn't you say? Me being a self made success I just never knew how bad it was until I finally got a little money... Me??? Pay for this, that, and thensome... How am I ever going to be a billionaire before 30?:D

#21     Oct 7, 2005
  2. Thanks for your kind words mrvizion. Nothing against you or the poster, it's just he had presented a view on Switzerland which was a little too much biased to the traditional image people have of Switzerland.

My last remark was just here to say that I personally become really patriotic when I read certain posts on ET or elsewhere.

However, what is a patriot ? if not someone who thinks his country is the best just because he was born there ;-)

#22     Oct 7, 2005
  3. Ahhhhhh I see now... Good to know I hadn't offended some of the big boys here... I sure wouldn't mind being part of that private message club one day... I can see what you're saying now though...Heck I'm Swiss Patriot too... I think the poster of that statement was just refering to the mad doctor impression some of us have of the U.S. that even live here... Meaning like the Doctor that thinks they know how to fix everything... Don't get me wrong though of some of the places I could have been born I'm very fortunate... It's just scary to know who or what is running the Country sometime!!!

#23     Oct 7, 2005
  4. Josh009

Josh009

Huh? 100% tax?

#24     Oct 7, 2005

5. I think the Poster of that statement was refering to the fact that in places like Canada and Amsterdam if I'm not mistaken... Free health care is the norm... Here....... No Money=Death Fast.... While at the same time the national debt is money that is supposed to be owed to the people... Mind you my girlfriend is from another country living here now... So I get all the insight... I still love the streets made of Gold here though so don't get me wrong!

#25     Oct 7, 2005
  6. jrlvnv

jrlvnv

It would have cost 300 million for the state of LA to fix and secure all levies. They chose not to. It is not the job of the government to make sure each state is fixed and is safe. You must be a democrat who likes to put blame on everyone else except who is responsible.

#26     Oct 7, 2005
  7. Josh009

Josh009

I see. This is true. Just look at the way people live in the most impoverished areas. New Orleans is a perfect example. No money means no car/bus ticket/ train ticket/no way to evacuate. Not to mention the way these people lived prior to the storms. "Substandard" is a gross understatement

Health care is another issue altogether. I just started trading (prop) and am not yet profitable. Health ins. from my last job has run out, and I don't know if anyone else has priced healthcare recently, but it's insanely expensive. So what other option do I have? More importantly, what options do the poorest people have?
    (sorry, not trying to turn this into a political rant...)

#27     Oct 7, 2005
  8. Health care in the US is too expensive because of stupid malpractice lawsuits. People just don't realize that any visit to the doctor is a gamble, taking any drugs is a gamble, nothing is possibly 100% effective. So everyone else has to pay them because they got the short stick....?
    The best solution, try hard not to get sick, eat right, exercise, and for routine health care like dental why not going to Mexico or Canada while on vacation?
    Health care is so cheap in other countries I ask myself all the time why the hell do I pay Health insurance, it's cheaper to go to other countries and pay cash.
    I go to US doctors only for emergencies and would go to them for a high tech life saving procedure but hopefully that's still decades ahead for me.

#28     Oct 7, 2005
  9. No one “LOVES” to pay taxes, myself included. The title line was meant to draw attention and discussion, not create a maelstrom of protests.

My opinions as expressed (and these are of course my opinions, as are the other posts on this thread) I believe are pretty clear. But I will explain a bit more.

I wanted to express appreciation for the opportunities I have. Without some form of tax, these would just not exist. I do not come from a wealthy background and at this time, I have received more than I have put in. Someday I hope to change that – not necessarily by paying enormous taxes, but by helping others and contributing.

The reality is indeed that corruption occurs and there will always be kinks in the system. Being appalled and speaking out against these is right. Perhaps this is an avenue for such.

I know very little about the European systems, as I’ve spent most of my time outside of the country in Asia. I said that America is a ‘GREAT’ place, not the best. Patriotism is important to have. Without an element of pride, there can be no improvement. And I’m not pretending to cheer for America as I would for a sports team, but to open a discussion and to see what others think.

Ultimately, I won’t respond to malicious comments, but look forward to reading more opinions on the topic.

- Adam

#29     Oct 7, 2005
  10. http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/country.cfm?id=Switzerland

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/country.cfm?id=Unitedstates

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/country.cfm?id=Ireland

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/country.cfm?id=Luxembourg

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/country.cfm?ID=China

US $32,517 GDP per capita
    Swiss $47,910 GDP per capita
    Ireland $30,951 GDP per capita
    Luxembourg $58,889 GDP per capita
    China $944 GDP per capita (no that is not a mistake it really is below $1,000)

So the US isn't the richest as measured by GDP per capita and it is the 12th most free country in the world. BTW, I am a US citizen but it still needs alot of work mostly because politicians (on both sides) are ruining this place. Democrats suck and Republicans blow!

#30     Oct 7, 2005