i looked into my screens and cried

Discussion in 'Trading' started by silk, Mar 11, 2003.

1. "Volume-less Volatilty"; get used to it folks, it may be around for awhile.

This is the teeth of the Bear, and quite honestly I am one of those schmucks who has taken some time off to re-evaluate this business, and maybe pursue some other passions in life.

No rule says you have to beat yourself up in these markets everday. If you are hitting them out the park, I admire that, but otherwise why give yourself the grief?

Especially those with others to answer to? Wife ..kids...think of the toll it takes on them?

Best,
    David

PS. Agree w Dr Z, cornhole you sound like a wise man; keep speaking!

#21     Mar 12, 2003
  2. you could look at trading as a trade. it certainly is a risk filled venture. it may be wise to hedge. it may be wise to question whether this is the time to trade or to sit -- is this the sort of risk you are equipped to take on, or should you lay off this risk?

the man above makes a great point -- if you have someone else to answer to, you owe them the best answer you can give.

so many of us have our egos wrapped up in being traders... it ought not be so. it's a business like any other. there are times when a business experiences a seller's market and times when it faces a buyer's market. in a buyer's market, big steps are taken to maintain cash flow; the survival of the business is at stake. who cares what it looks like? it's good business.

i keep thinking of the story in Pit Bull about the floor trader who sold produce on the side when business was slow... in the '70's. and most people who've been around will say this is every big a bear as that one, if not bigger.

if p&l is the name of the game, it is no failure to be open to outside sources of 'p' if need be.

#22     Mar 12, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

I couldn't agree more.

nitro

#23     Mar 12, 2003
  4. I'm pretty sure those were NQ points unless he switched over, so that makes a bit of a difference.

I made 3.5 ES and was happy with it.

Jay

#24     Mar 12, 2003
  5. Seth-

multiple.

5-contracts each trade. see my trade log.
    *not my acct.

when dealing with my own money, most days I couldn't trade my way out of a Mexican Flee mkt.

*Note to readers who just got majorly offended, my ethnicity is 50/50. ;-)

-momo

#25     Mar 12, 2003

6. So are you saying there is a difference between trading someone elses money and trading your own money where you get different results? Unless I am reading this wrong you seem to be saying that you can't trade your own money the same way you trade this other acct.

#26     Mar 12, 2003
  7. Couldn't agree more. Need to have the right system, and when necessary adapt to the market. That is how successful businesses survive - they adapt to the market (whatever their market is).

I'm also quite impressed - I though my 15 S&P points was great until I read your post. - Keep it up!!

#27     Mar 12, 2003
  8. Just noticed that was 25 points on 5 contracts - or 5 pts per - still good, but now I feel better.

Maybe there should be a rule on ET that profit/lose statements refer to "per contract"??

#28     Mar 12, 2003
  9. No I am pretty sure he trades 5 contracts at a time and got 25 points per contract.

#29     Mar 12, 2003
  10. Guess we'll need to hear from mono on this

#30     Mar 12, 2003