I Live in My Mom's Basement and I Oppose Obama's Tax on Rich

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shortie, Sep 20, 2011.

Do You Live in Your Mom's Basement (or Equivalent)?

1. No, But Will Be Moving There Soon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, But Will Be Living On My Own Soon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, NOT Planning to Move with my Parents

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. Yes, NOT Planning to Leave. It's a Jungle Out There!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. This is one of the tragic lessons of Latin American history, where democracy has repeatedly bumped up against tight economic oligarchies that feel threatened by majority rule. Though reliable statistics on wealth equality aren't available, we do know that income inequality in the U.S. today far exceeds that in Europe, and it is getting into the Latin American range. Because wealth is generally more concentrated than income, we are clearly in the danger zone.

Remarkably enough, the CIA has investigated the matter, and its website contains some sobering estimates. It reports that income is already more concentrated in the U.S. than in Venezuela, though we still have a way to go to reach the dizzying heights of Brazil and Chile. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ackerman-wealth-tax-20110920,0,200115.story?track=rss

2. It's ironic that you would point to latin america, a region plagued by the sort of populist demagoguery obama is addicted to.

3. Of course you do, you married your half sister and started this idiotic thread.

4. I am surprised that by the above measure US is like Venezuela.

I don't think that taxing the rich will narrow the gap.

5. Not taxing the rich would let the gap widen faster.

6. jem

jem

what needs to be done is to stop the rich from lobbying politicians.

Do you see how much money schumer gets from wall street.
    And the dems get from insurance
    And they all get from everywhere else.

A system founded on markets can no longer allow its politicians to distort the market by campaign bribery.

Congress is destroying our system.

We need to change the tax system and we need to make the politicians the peoples crooks not the crooks owned by the highest bidders.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Bingo
    Yahtzee
    He scores

8. Wow, so you mean that the more the nation has imported latin americans, the more it has come to resemble a 3rd world latin american dump?! Wow!! Whod've thought!?

9. an interesting line of thought

10. rew

rew

It's unsurprising that income inequality in the U.S. is approaching that in Latin America. After all, we are filling our country up with Latin Americans -- in order to keep wages low. The left sides with agribusiness, meat packers, landscaping firms, and construction firms in favoring this trend.

#10     Sep 20, 2011