I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jsp326

jsp326

Let's say you want to manufacture a new widget. If you compare the 1950s to now, which decade will you spend far more money and time fighting OSHA, the EPA, EEOC and bogus harassment/discrimination charges, and dozens of other agencies battling your quest for success and profitability?

#41     Jul 8, 2013
  2. Excellent point. Because "... you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

#42     Jul 8, 2013
  3. Yet corporations are more profitable, CEO's are making much much more in relation to the employees of the companies they run, there are many more billionaires. There is a more complex conversation than just regulations. The workers standard of living is lower. In the 50's a working man could make a living where his wife could stay home and take care of the kids and they could afford a new car every few years and take vacations, that can't happen today. The tax and corporate structure is set up to help the wealthy and large become wealthier and larger.

#43     Jul 8, 2013
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

"Many economists say the growth of temp work will continue beyond the recession. One likely accelerant of the trend: the health-reform law known as Obamacare."

#44     Jul 8, 2013
  5. Don't you think in the future the health care plan will change to account for things like businesses switching workers to part time. Large programs don't remain stagnant. There is a decent chance the reps will win the white house next election, providing they don't go crazy right, that wouldn't give them enough to remove Obamacare but it would give them enough to make improvements, if they can get away from the all or nothing mentality that is.

#45     Jul 8, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So...if I read your text correctly, you're admitting the flawed nature of Obamacare? Instead of passing legislation that made sense, that wouldn't have resulted in the moving permanent jobs into <30 hours a week jobs that don't qualify as Obamacare eligible, just pass any ol' thing and let the next President figure it all out?

Am I also reading in your text that you are counting on the Republicans to win the White House in order to fix it?

#46     Jul 8, 2013
  7. jsp326

jsp326

Much of that is due to globalization and other factors. There's a reason companies hire folks in 3rd world countries and I don't blame them.

Joe SmallWidgetMaker trying to set up shop is a completely different story. Go talk to some people who work and produce things for a living. Everyone I know who has tried to manufacture anything has run into nightmares with the agencies I've mentioned...along with state and local busybodies.

#47     Jul 8, 2013
  8. heypa

heypa

Government is both a protector and an impeder. It is the ratio of each that is the problem.Many businesses will go to extreme underhanded actions to achieve monopoly status and government should deny them this ability not assist them. The establishment of businesses should be allowed not impeded by excessive regulation. Government should not pick and choose which business to encourage or discourage. Remember that a camel was a horse designed by a committee and that the government is the largest committee ever put together,

#48     Jul 8, 2013
  9. This is expressed quite well. Of course the problem is human nature. We are, in the aggregate, shot through and through with greed. The lazy want to be subsidized, the greedy want it all and the man in the middle wants to bury his head in the sand pretending it will all be fine.

The day of reckoning is approaching. The wake up call in 2008/9 has been ignored. We put it all on the tab and largely avoied the pain of paying for past excesses. A remedy for disaster.

#49     Jul 8, 2013
  10. heypa

heypa

The 500 plus people in Washington did this to us. It started at least 100 years ago and now has reached critical mass. I don't think it can be stopped. No matter who we elect the people still to be in charge running the place are the ones that smoothly slid us over the brink. The people responsable , are the congress,the executive branch, and the judicial including the not so Supreme Court. In your own family I'm sure you didn't accede to your childrens every request.

#50     Jul 8, 2013