I know this should be more on the stock forum...But

Discussion in 'Options' started by Cabin111, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

I have noticed over the years, that the market drops the next business day after the third Friday of the month (option day) in January. It is like all those options need to cleared (settled) to be cleaned out for a few days. About 5 days later or so, the market will bounce back (if that is the direction it is headed), and almost finds it equilibrium...Where the real value of the market should be after about 5 to 7 business days. Is it just me?? If someone could put up a graph for the Monday or Tuesday (holiday) after the third Friday of January, I would love to see it. Not techie enough here. Thoughts? Thanks...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Cabin111

Cabin111

I just picked this off the net...There is something to it, but not much. Also this graph is just 2018.

Best Day of the Week to Buy Stock: Monday

There are some who believe that certain days offer systematically better returns than others, but over the long run, there is very little evidence for such a market-wide effect. Still, people believe that the first day of the work week is best. It's called the Monday Effect. For decades, the stock market has had a tendency to drop on Mondays, on average. Some studies have attributed this to a significant amount of bad news that is often released over the weekend. Others point to investors' gloomy mood at having to go back to work, which is especially evident during the early hours of Monday trading. Since the Monday Effect has been made public and information has diffused through the market about it, the impact has largely disappeared. The chart below shows that while Mondays on average have marked negative returns for the S&P 500 in 2018, the effect is very small.

[​IMG]
    Nevertheless, if you're planning on buying stocks, perhaps you're better off doing it on a Monday than any other day of the week, and potentially snapping up some bargains in the process.

3. tomorton

tomorton

Good news is planned and therefore only emerges on weekdays when maximum benefit can be finessed from its management and cultivation. Mostly bad news occurs at weekends - what good news can befall a bank on a Sunday?

murray t turtle and DTB2 like this.
  4. Handle123

Handle123

5. maxinger

maxinger

And the best day to trade is

EVERY TRADING DAY !

There are lots of things you should cherry pick.
    eg selecting spouse, choosing food, buying houses ...

However, in this world, there is only one thing you shouldn't cherry
    pick and that's selecting the best day for trading,
    selecting the best most probable signal for trading ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    cvds16 likes this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

Are you sure about spouses?

7. %%
    Good read, CBN read ; helpful read.
    Stock Traders Almanac has some helpful charts; a picture is worth 2,000 words.:caution::caution:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Handle123 likes this.
  8. Handle123

Handle123

Do you recall an article that if you invested in mutual funds for six days only, that did better than buy and hold? I do remember the old Stock Traders Almanac back in the 1980s, can't remember who started it, think it was done by a "spread trader"? He was on FNN few times a month which I believe CNBC bought out? Long time ago, LOL

#10     Jan 24, 2019