I just opened an account at ThinkorSwim. Moving from OptionsXpress

Discussion in 'Options' started by ElectricSavant, Dec 19, 2005.

1. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Yes. I use it to drill in what the instititional way of option trading. Learning from the ex-option floor traders gives me more confidence.

#11     Dec 21, 2005
  2. momoneythansens,

I am really appreciative of your reply, even if you did work for TOS what you said is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for...sincerely.

Ironically or not so, I am rather familiar with optionvue and platinum and was essentially referring to what they provide, maybe you could tell that from what I was asking or you can read my mind, either way is fine by me. Spread Hacker still sounds extremely useful and fine for what I'm interested in and will be watching the demo to check it out. I would love for them to also develop similar capabilities as Optionvue, naturally.

Thanks much for the thorough response.

Happy Holidays and Good Trading, sd

#12     Dec 21, 2005
  3. Confidence to trade a lot of legs, thus enriching TOS. Confidence shouldn't come from a seminar. I'm on the record with my disdain for the ppl at TOS. I am sure they're pleasant when hosting a seminar. They've dropped to ball on too many occasions.

#13     Dec 21, 2005
  4. nlslax

nlslax

riskarb,
    Can you tell us who you use and why?

#14     Dec 21, 2005
  5. 90% of my trade is OTC now, but my family holds retail equity accounts with IB, and no other broker; primarily for the depth of product. All US asset classes, EU, Asia, etc... excellent FX "ECN" with IdealPRO. You can trade DAX and HSI futures and Nikkei futures/options. EU customers have even better access to World markets.

Coupled with the lowest aggregate comms for the retail trader. Nobody can touch IB on the retail end in terms of product offering and commissions. My family has held accounts with IB for almost 7 years and we've never had to call the trade desk. I can't say the same for TOS; perhaps they've improved their CS and trade desk by now.

#15     Dec 21, 2005
  6. damn...the last thing I wanted to do was to fade riskarb...he is the options guy ....

Wifey has her account hooked up to an autoexecute service from an advisory...or we would be with IB...

I tell you what though...If riskarb asked me to send Wifey's money to him to trade, I would do it in a heartbeat!

Michael B.

#16     Dec 21, 2005
  7. Such a cynic :D

LOL. I'm dying to know how they've wronged you so badly. Can only be a woman involved to spawn such disdain....

#17     Dec 21, 2005

8. Nah, nothing that dramatic... simply a half-dozen phone calls requesting an "out" confirmation while my 100-lot was in play and charged a haircut -- this occured over a four hour period one trading day in 1999. Unfortunately, I have many more anecdotes re: TOS.

#18     Dec 21, 2005

9. 1999? TOS had just started, you must have been one of the first clients. i assure you, they have improved dramatically since then.

surfer

#19     Dec 21, 2005
  10. can anyone tell me what the minimum deposit is to trade options w/ thinkorswim? won't be trading strategies, just outright calls and puts.

thanks.

#20     Feb 5, 2006