I just made a HUGE noobie mistake.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GetBusyLiving, Dec 18, 2009.

1. It's pretty easy to find out the high volume hours. Check out:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Best-Time-To-Trade-The-Forex-Market&id=403035

#11     Dec 18, 2009
  2. styron

styron

You've got 2 days to bring about the break up of the European Union. Better get to work.

(Just a little humor. Hope this works out for you.)

#12     Dec 18, 2009
  3. The trend is in your favor; be prepared for taxes if you make extra million by mistake.

#13     Dec 18, 2009
  4. #14     Dec 18, 2009
  5. Don't worry, you are in good company. :D

Several years ago, I started trading futures options for the first time. I had experience in equity options, but wasn't familiar with the future options expiration calendar. Long story short, I was long some 30yr bond future calls going into expiration but didn't know about it. I logged into my IB account on Monday morning and noticed that my call options were gone, and I had bunch of ZB future contracts, and they were sitting at 10 tick loss;

I was like wtf happened to my options :mad:

Then I learned that my options had expired and that IB automatically exercised them and made physical delivery over the weekend.

I quickly liquidated them on Monday morning and took the loss, but learned a good lesson out of it.

#15     Dec 18, 2009
  6. The Sunday gaps lately haven't been been material, aside from Dubai weekend. There might be a minor Sunday gap up on a continuation of this afternoon's rebound. Today's selloff was a bit overdone, especially the stop run at the London fix when it took out those option barriers. Great buying opportunity.

There's really nothing you can do at this point other than hope & pray, but the likelihood of a large gap up (>30 pips) is on the low side I'd say. Most of the time the gaps get retraced within an hour or two from the open, Sunday night FX trading is rather illiquid & choppy.

#16     Dec 18, 2009
  7. #17     Dec 18, 2009
  8. Bet the farm on soybeans once. Farms suck anyways

#18     Dec 18, 2009
  9. LeeD

LeeD

Completely agree here. As long as your trade holding period is hours and not seconds you should be fine.

Those of us trading futures may have tougher time if they miss the moment overnight margin kicks in.

#19     Dec 18, 2009
  10. yes. paid bestguruever => ppt $10000 and rcanfiel => traderzones $250000 for trading systems offered here on ET. stupid as it possibly gets, right there

#20     Dec 18, 2009