I just got smoked. Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnbadger, Feb 12, 2011.

1. schizo

schizo

I dunno what you have installed on that computer, but if it were me I would just wipe out the HD and reinstall Windows. Why waste time endlessly scanning your computer or rely on others' advice, half of which are useless? In addition, formatting your hard drive will cure your computer from 99% of all known ills, including virus, that exist on the market.

Here's an instruction on how to "clean install" Windows 7 or Vista:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Here's an instruction on how to "clean install" Windows XP:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

Good luck!

#11     Feb 13, 2011
  2. dtan1e

dtan1e

not sure if this is relevant but i recently gets systems message that my antivirus is not on when it is, and i tried superantispyware and that works for me

#12     Feb 13, 2011
  3. Eight

Eight

lookit, please come to the understanding that Windows is not good in a networked environment.. it was never designed for it and it's impossible to make it secure. The security industry will tell you forever that they can secure it but it's only a matter of time before something screws it up....

Nobody with windows machines seems to ever buy an operating system disc from ebay for $50-$100 so they can rebuild their machine... and they never learn how to use disc imaging software so they can wipe the hard drive and take the computer back to the first moment that they launched it, complete with all their software installed, with no troubles at all.. and they never learn to set up a whitelisting firewall for their trading machines.. and if they never seem to want to come up to speed on things why do I keep telling them?

Shit happens to computers, get over it!! That is my new answer to people with computer problems...

#13     Feb 13, 2011
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Thanks for all of the replies.

I thought about the dated system restore, but if it starts acting up again, I'll just do a reinstall. Starting from scratch just makes sense. But it hasn't given me any problems since my last post, so I'm going to see if going the easy route worked for me.

The laptop is only a year old, so I'm running 7. Thanks for the links, schizo.

Eight, a little harsh, but I agree. People need to become more educated about this stuff, myself included. God help people like my mother, who needed help opening a word processor the other day.

#14     Feb 13, 2011
  5. CET

CET

Before doing a reinstall, run Rkill. It only takes a few minutes. Then run Dr. Web Cure It, as it is a good virus software. This is how is fixed my neighbor's computer which had a few infections. Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

#15     Feb 13, 2011
  6. jnbadger

jnbadger

Thanks. I forgot about that one.

#16     Feb 13, 2011