I Just Got Long

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Mar 6, 2009.

1. This is happening everywhere - crap is selling for something resembling "reasonable" prices but anything not crap is holding value fairly well. For this to change in the short turn will, I'm thinking, require a large uptick in long term rates. For that to happen, the long end of the Treasury market needs to implode.

The only alternative I can see is a long - very long - drawn out Japan-style utter stagnation that kills bulls with bills and bears without patience.

#131     Mar 11, 2009
  2. Another fractal worth noting RC is that while Tokyo prices broke as much as 90% they STILL remained the worlds most expensive after imploding. Needless to say the late 80's Tokyo bubble made ours look sick and puny by comparison.

"Prices were highest in Tokyo's Ginza district in 1989, with choice properties fetching over 100 million yen ($1 million US dollars) per square meter ($93,000 per square foot)." $500 a square foot for a condo in Santa Monica looks pretty cheap after reading that, eh? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_asset_price_bubble

#132     Mar 11, 2009
  3. Ya know bro when he pulled out of the Dolphins deal with Ross I knew he was pretty much toast. Someday his vision will be vindicated but perhaps long after he still has two nickels left to his name....:)

#133     Mar 11, 2009
  4. There are few reasons why I am short energy and LONG financials. (works very well for last two days BTW)

Sectors tend to bottom out one by one and financials are just the most hated so I assume they are not far from the bottom (if we haven't seen one already)
    On the other hand energy (not alternative energy) complex has held very well although oil continues to go down and I don't think we've sen the bottom in oil yet.
    So IF oil will go further south and bad economic news will continue surfacing media the energy sector should be the one to short till the end of march...

#134     Mar 11, 2009
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

ES approaching a former swing low that may be a resistance/supply price area.

#135     Mar 12, 2009
  6. Rather than get caught up in the micro and risk losing my longs-I almost sold calls against them yesterday- I'll just let it ride. The profit is burning a hole in my pocket. That usually means there's more coming. :)

#136     Mar 12, 2009
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Been there done that.
    :mad:

Not trying to get anyone to do anything necesarily, just making an observation.

GL with that long Pabst.

#137     Mar 12, 2009
  8. I'm out of my longs at 751.

You can probably be short here for a scalp.

#138     Mar 13, 2009