I just got dissed...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by wutangfinancial, Jun 19, 2008.

1. faure

faure

It could be old man doesn't like hedge funds because of the fact that managers will take bigger risks with people's money to generate performance and consequently, massive fees.

That of course is a negatively biased generalisation but it is a popular one with a lot of people.

#11     Jun 20, 2008
  2. 9999

Why don't you go and ask him yourself? If your mom knows him personally, and you two don't have any sour grapes, I see no reason not to do it.

#12     Jun 20, 2008
  3. zdreg

zdreg

is that a sell signal on the won?

#13     Jun 20, 2008
  4. I have heard the same BS before as well. As recently as yesterday as a matter of fact.

So this guy works in the fund management industry so he's better than you are because he takes a longer time frame in his trades?

"Investors" are nothing but speculators who take a longer time frame but ultimately the end game is the same, profit.

You should have asked him how many times he beat his index and what added value he provided to his clients, I'm sure he would not have been to happy as the answer would have probably been none.

#14     Jun 20, 2008
  5. you're gonna let a guy who simply heard the word 'hedge fund' and reacted? he does not know you, it's not about you.

however, i would prep your mother with an 'elevator speech' so she can articulate what the h it is your doing succinctly should she ever find herself in similar situations.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_pitch)

#15     Jun 20, 2008
  6. ET is full of screen jockeys and nickel grinders. I run a very large and successful paper trading hedgefun. Guys like me are the real deal. I donot think you will run into a more successful and astute trading wiz than me, and a few others on my staff.

Recently, we cleaned up one morning so great that we took the afternoon off to go see the Sex And The City Movie.

True story. Cause thats how we roll.

#16     Jun 20, 2008

7. No disrespect wutang, but isn't it possible she could have told him about your drug addiction ? Maybe that could have jaded his views on you.

#17     Jun 20, 2008
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

mmm... You're either playing a game and joking( and that's OK for me ), or you're for real( and that's even better...)

:D

#18     Jun 20, 2008
  9. Don't want to know - don't care

Screw him

He may be a billionaire but his snap judgments on you are NOTHING

Never give any one the power to affect you

#19     Jun 20, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Maybe it's because (1) when "things go well", HFs are scraping off exorbitant fees, and when "things go wrong" (as they often do when management is overly compensated for taking risk), investors are left holding the bag.

Warren Buffett also thinks HFs are immoral rip-offs.

#20     Jun 20, 2008