I just got an assignment...HELP

Discussion in 'Options' started by maae10, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

you guess there were time value, that's why you sold it.

the problem is, you did not know how to calculate the time value before you made the decision to sell it.

if you knew how to calculate the time value, you would not have sold it. Period.

and you wonder why people did not give you credit for your option trading experience?

p.s. the method to calculate time value is the same whether you buy, or sell, options. It is so simple, most of us just eyeball it. ;-)>

BTW, nobody here never challenged you, or did not believe you, on your profits.
    Being profitable in options and being knowledgeable in options are two different things. We are all genuinely happy for your profits.

#51     Apr 19, 2007
  2. It doesn't appear that you understand what has happened or that you have learned anything for your next trade.

#52     Apr 19, 2007
  3. Wow all this bashing because the OP asked a simple question. So what if he traded something he didnt understand, i am sure many of you who are jumping on maae10 are/were guilty of the same at some point.

BTW, for all you know it all experts, time value isnt the reason you sell options and having negative or no time value doesnt mean the option shouldnt be sold. So following the logic displayed in this thread i can say that everyone who said the ops shouldnt have been sold due to the time value don't understand what they are doing either. :D

Oy Vey!

#53     Apr 20, 2007
  4. MTE

MTE

If you go back to the beginning you'll see that it all started very innocently. maae10 asked a question and got an answer (in the usual slightly harsh ET style, but nothing too dramatic) and then some of us also provided a good intentional advice about getting educated about options before trading them cause as we all know it's very easy to lose your shirt in options if you don't know what you are doing. At that point, we didn't question maae10's experience or knowledge, we were just stating the obvious, which, once again, was good intentional.

Then maae10, construing the advice about education as a personal attack, started defending him/herself stating that he/she has several years of options trading experience, yet maae10 has clearly been unable to demonstrate any practical options knowledge, hence the doubts were raised. After that it has pretty much snowballed in, once again, the usual ET style.

I don't see what the big f*cking deal is here!?

maae10, once again I'm not attacking you, so get over ego and get yourself educated about options.

#54     Apr 20, 2007
  5. maae10

maae10

I didn't pay attention to the time decay because there was almost none and I wasn't selling the options trying to capture that money. As I said before I'm bullish on the stock.

I know how to calculate time value.

It was insinuated that I shouldn't be trading options because my lack of knowledge would lead to ruin.

IMHO you can't get "lucky" for as long as I did. I may not know the ins and outs of iron condors and the like but I know the fundamentals of options trading. Perhaps a lacking a few major points in selling because I'm new at but that's all. Everyone is jumping on me because I just started selling and got assigned for the first time and wanted to make sure there were no surprises.

People keep saying that nobody is being rude and they're not really jumping on you. That's simply not true, aside from the obviously rude post my not being able to calculate a simple P&L keeps being brought up even though it's false.

I figure technical traders just don't like when stock pickers can make money in options without knowing all the "moves". Then again you have been just as critical but nice and civil and the same time. I'm sure that all the criticism I'm receiving on this thread is at least partially true, but I'm also trying to figure out why everyone is being so rude about it.

Is there something about my post that triggered something? Are most of the folk here just not very nice? I frequent a few message boards (though this is the first financial one I have posted on) and I have never gotten such a welcome anywhere else.

#55     Apr 20, 2007
  6. MTE

MTE

As I've mentioned before, ET is not a friendly place (nor is the market, for that matter), it's the Wild West of discussion forums, you either gotta be really sharp or honest about your experience/knowledge or both.

Occasionally fakes come here and claim to have achieved great success, so when someone asks a basic question, which however unintentionally implies a newbie, but then claims to be a successful trader it instantly creates a very explosive situation cause the two contradict each other.

A newbie cannot be a successful trader cause he/she hasn't traded for long enough to claim success, and a successful experienced trader has a good understanding of the instrument he/she is trading and of all the procedures related to that instrument.

By the way, nobody gives a sh*t around here whether you are making money as a "technical" trader or a stock picker. In fact, you seem to be the only occupied by this.

#56     Apr 20, 2007
  7. maae10

maae10

Now here's a mench.

#57     Apr 20, 2007
  8. maae10

maae10

LINK

#58     Apr 20, 2007
  9. MTE

MTE

Good start mate! Your 4th post and you're insulting others already! Congrats for becoming the first member of my ignore list!

By the way, what's up with the ...? Didn't they teach you to write in complete sentences with commas and stops!?

#59     Apr 20, 2007
  10. The only reason people are insulting maae is because he claimed to have been trading options for 3 years, but doesn't understand how a simple assignment works.

Nobody bashes people when the say "i'm a noob, how does this work?" But when you claim to do something for 3 years, and it appears to be false, ppl will call you out on it.

#60     Apr 20, 2007