I just blew up my account today, I need a job!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by peilthetraveler, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Well done, Samson. Once again you prove to be one of the most inept individuals on this site. First, you essentially tell this man that his becoming a broker means he will become a thief and a liar, and then you essentially admit that this is what you did yourself for five years.
    [/QUOTE]

Ummmm ok if you say so but when I was a broker 20 years ago I was actually very good at handling OPM as well as my own, to this day I can still make 3-4% per month average (can peil do that?) ... but your right about one thing, I did leave the career because I did not like the pressure and the responsibilities.

#41     Jan 3, 2006
  2. You should stop posting ASAP.

#42     Jan 3, 2006
  3. when I first started trading prop i used to get pissed when my boss told me to punch out of a trade, but I think you learn a valuable lesson out of this I used to think people were being sarcastic when they talked about blow ups, then I got caught like a deer in the headlights on a trade about a month in and went 5 times over the loss limit im allowed to have for the day, thought i was fired for sure its such a messed up mentality to hold on to losers and cut winners short but it is easy to correct when it gets drilled into you enough. Now its just automatic, cause I got reamed enough I think someone trading prop has a better chance for survival because of this, atleast until you learn the markets.

sorry to hear about your woes peil, ever thought about trying prop?? gives you a chance to learn from soomeone whose done it and someone will probably give you shit if you lose to much, just until it becomes automatic.

just my 2 cents

#43     Jan 3, 2006
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Absolutely, a person can give advice (as a broker) and not be a successful trader. I have a number of friends who are very successful stockbrokers. They also have told me that they know they could not trade and make a living. If you were a broker then you should know that brokers often toss out ideas to clients that come from their research groups. Brokers aren't pitching to clients to buy GOOG for a 1-2 point intra-day move.

#44     Jan 4, 2006

5. Sure, your right !

As a broker you could just pump IPO's and corporate researched stocks and funds.

Many get away with that day in and day out and make decent money.

Personally I could never deal with that because WHAT did the client need me for? all that stuff is free, sure I could allocate it but I found that most intelligent people could figure this out on there own.

The best brokers in my office where the ones that went outside of the corporate box and actually made their clients extraordinary returns above market averages. To me this is what a brokers job is.

If Peil is just going to tout the company line then all the power to him BUT I think once you get a taste of trading it's way to hard to be a corporate kiss butt.

#45     Jan 4, 2006
  6. fletch2

fletch2

As if people have clients because the clients need them.

People make entire livings telling people to pay high interest loans first and max out their 401(k).

A lot of people find an emotional comfort in "expert advice", even if it isn't. It absolves them of feeling responsible if things don't go well, and they can feel smart to have hired an expert if things do.

Fletch

#46     Jan 4, 2006
  7. I can't take it anymore! I'm certainly not perfect.

We don't get french benefeits?

It's ADVICE not ADVISE. (In that context)

It's LOSE not LOOSE.(as in money)

Happy Trading!!

#47     Jan 4, 2006
  8. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

I do not think there is any 'probably' about this. Qualifications, professional or otherwise, have never been a substitute for common sense.

It would be interesting to hear from the original chap who blew up what area of risk management or self management he skipped.

Better luck next time.

#48     Jan 4, 2006
  9. zdreg

zdreg

people on this board consider it a badge of honor to misspell words. there for their is a prime example. be careful how strongly you press this issue. they will call u the grammar police and worse.

#49     Jan 4, 2006
  10. Or "your" for "you're" as in

#50     Jan 4, 2006