I hear covered call sellers are making a killing in this market

Discussion in 'Options' started by stock777, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Excess upside premium at =delta? Where are you finding upside skew?

#41     Aug 4, 2007
  2. I think that you are confusing a cash secured Put with a covered Put.

As I recall, a covered Put is a combination of short put and short stock. If my recollection is correct a covered put certainly has a higher risk than a CC.

Don

#42     Aug 5, 2007

3. You'd have to be selling calls a lot closer to the money then the puts you're buying. The use of the premium to just buy calls out right as we all know is a crap shoot. Buying calls or puts out right historically is a tuff tuff way to make money few few few people are successful at it.

In essence you're selling closer to the money calls then the puts you buy to even generate premium and then you'd only be able to buy few or further away calls with that small premium generated.

I believe this thread was about how well the covered call sellers were doing and we all know they're getting smoked.

#43     Aug 6, 2007
  4. cdowis

cdowis

Well, yes and no. A covered call is a hedging strategy for a trader who is long an equity for long term. For example, he may be in management and receives stock in compensation. He either wants to be exercised on his short call (to liquidate some of his holdings), or give some partial protection on the down side.

The trader with a short put is a short to mid term trader with no interest in the underlying.

Very different trading profiles.

#44     Aug 6, 2007
  5. ssmegner

ssmegner

Regardless the risk profiles are the same. HOw can one be more aggressive and one conservative if the risk profiles are the same. There is an attorney on a local radio show each week that discusses suing the various brokers for misleading information that causes folks ( in particular retirees) to lose their money. I personally feel that calling covered calls 'conservative' while cash covered puts (or covered with short stock) 'most aggressive' also misleading.

#45     Aug 6, 2007
  6. cdowis

cdowis

The difference is simple == the typical covered call trader is an investor who is already long the market. He already has downside risk, and, rather than hedging with a put, decides to do a partial hedge with short calls. The covered call is a blended position. Adding the short call is more conservative than holding long stocks alone.

The naked put guy starts with no initial position.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

#46     Aug 6, 2007
  7. The typical covered call trader is not already in the market. The typical trader isn't educated on the synthetic equivalence -- they enter both positions concurrently. The preponderance of CC-advisory services belies your argument.

Short gamma is not a hedge.

#47     Aug 6, 2007
  8. Just wondering where you get your data for what is typical?

#48     Aug 6, 2007
  9. ssmegner

ssmegner

You are not addressing the question. Once a person gets to 'hedging' they have moved beyond the "Investor" buy and hold types. How they got into the position is irrelevant. The risk profiles are the same yet one is called by most brokers 'conservative' while the covered (cash or short) put is 'most aggressive'.

Second you slipped the discussion from covered puts to naked puts. We are not talking about naked puts.

Third, covered puts are also a blended position. The investor could have been short stock and wanted to hedge using a short put. Cash + short put is also a blended position.

#49     Aug 6, 2007
  10. this thread was about how someone thought that covered call sellers were doing well, they're getting smoked, end of story there.

"blended" LOL is that like coffee?

#50     Aug 6, 2007