I have stopped trading futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by coolweb, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Bingo! Move to the front of the class.

There is no rule against objecting. The rule is against flaming each other because it turns into a shouting match that never ends. If you want to disagree politely then fine by me, its your time to waste. What I am suggesting is to simply ignore threads where the disagreeable talk about themselves and eventually they just go away because no one is taking the bait.

Mass deletions occur because its too time consuming to edit 40 individual posts...if you can't be courteous enough to act like adults, then that is the consequence. Unfortunately some good stuff may be deleted in the process. Again, its in your hands to avoid this, simply by following the rules.

If a certain member is breaking the rules over and over, rather than shouting them down, where nothing is accomplished except to encourage their poor behavior, make use of the complaint function. However, I still contend that the ignore function is the most useful thing on ET.

Regards

#21     Dec 19, 2005
  2. coolweb

Honestly, I really feel sorry for you man.

You know the goal in life is not to make the most money.

It is about living in peace, be in harmony with others and trusting people around you. It is about friends who will not desert you when money runs out.

I cannot see you as a success with the "good" girls.

Let me explain. Yes, it is possible that you can get all the girlfriends that you want (when you have a lot of money) but those are not the ones you need. No money, no honey are those types. May I suggest to you not to hang out with those girls who are no different than prostitutes. (because that are the only types that with your behaviour are interested in you)

May I suggest that over the coming Christmas break you do some soul searching and consider adjusting your interactions with those around you?

Merry Christmas to you and I wish that you become more in harmony with the people you interact with in 2006.

psycho analitics

#22     Dec 19, 2005
  3. Maybe you'd be better served buying a 3rd grade math book. It's a 5.1% return

#23     Dec 19, 2005
  4. Banjo

Banjo

LMAO

#24     Dec 19, 2005
  5. Next big trade win, I'm going to be using the proceeds to buy a TI solar powered calculator.

We will see who has better math skills then :(

#25     Dec 20, 2005
  6. Yeh..but you were foolish enough to lock that money up for 5 years. I would have thought a financial genius like yourself would have put some money into Ibonds, they offer a higher yield, and you can pull your money out after 1 year if you need to.

#26     Dec 20, 2005
  7. Seeing as this thread is presenting some misleading and biased information, let me state some facts about the use of margin and the capital requirements of trading futures versus stocks.

While I hope people do their own research and come to their own conclusions rather than trust information posted by certain people here, I will say that my views are justified in that I can support my conclusions through experience and SIMPLE math.

Lets go through a simple cost/benefit analysis between attempting a trade in a future and a stock equity. I chose the EMDH6 contract and AAPL simply because I trade these products every day and they suit the purposes as well as any equity or future.

Lets say as a rough estimate (these are not formulaic calculations of daily range, they are my best guesses) that AAPL has a daily range of 1.50 and the EMDH6 is around 7 points. Suppose I wish to capture half the daily range (non-trend day) for each product, how much will this endeavor actually cost me?

Before I go through the math, let me first say that ALL markets trade in the same manner. Price action represents supply demand imbalances and good trading in one market will easily transfer into another. Contrary to what you may have been lead to believe by the OP, ease of entry/exit and the spread are what distinguishes one product from another (in this sense, a future is at a significant advantage due to the ease of shorting), not the perceived "difficulty" of one product over another. Trading effectively has very little (<5%) to do with the product you chose to trade - I'll ask anyone to argue this point - please provide an example of an "easy" vehicle versus a difficult one.

Anyway, back to the point:

1 EMDH6 contract costs me $2800 in maintenance, $3500 in initial and $700 in spread capital to trade for a total of 7k in "opportunity" equity. If I trade well, I'll possibly capture 3.5 points (1/2 the range) for a $350 gain minus the 4.80 I pay in commissions.

What would it require for a similar gain in AAPL? Well, first I need to take .75 out of AAPL which equates to ~500 shares. Today AAPL traded at ~72 calling for 36k in equity. The equity trade will cost me about the same as the future in commissions (.004/share +/- ECN).

The equity has a 5x opportunity cost to position myself and I cannot sell arbitrarily.

What is the point of all this? Well, nothing substantial other than the fact that 7k applied to the better priced market and, traded skillfully, will produce a much better (lower) opportunity cost to reward ratio.

Quality volume and price movement are found everywhere. Trading good opportunities with a solid plan is the crux of this business. The market you chose to trade, while important in cost/benefit terms, does not have an inherent trading ease or difficulty in terms of price movement.

#27     Dec 20, 2005
  8. money can always be made and invested not to mention only around 1/4 is locked sliding scale from 1-5 years.

guaranteed cashflow fk around money sent straight to my bank account keeps me living like a king.

not to mention all 5 year cds can be taken out at any time forfeiting a 6 month interest penalty if you really need it.

Nothing is ever "locked up" :)

#28     Dec 20, 2005
  9. Your post was good, a nice well thought out one, I like it albeit wrong idea why I switched.

I'll post my reply after the market ends today.

#29     Dec 20, 2005
  10. OK, but hypothetically speaking, what if the poster was a blithering idiot whose own posts are internally inconsistent? Would it be acceptable to call him on it and declare, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

If moderators are are going to take the time to delete flaming posts, which they are certainly entitled to do, perhaps they should consider deleting bone-headed stupid posts constructed by pathological liars as well. It requires very little effort to identify them as, more often that not, they often lack basic internal consistency between and among them, from one post to the next.

The ignore function is a fine feature. But when you are walking down a street that you like, is it easy (or right) to ignore the litter that seems to be accumulating? Some people are turning this place into a bad joke. Why are you ignoring that?

#30     Dec 20, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.