"I have never texted or emailed Senator Obama," Clooney said. "And I'll offer a milli

Discussion in 'Politics' started by flytiger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. These people are beyond stupid!!!!! I"m not a Hollywood Elitist. And I'll give you a million dollars if you can prove I am. Let me give you wiring instructions, you fucking airhead. they can't keep a marriage together, stay off of drink, drugs, raise children, but they know what's best for America.

Obama dilemma as celebrities descend on Denver
    Aug 25 11:26 AM US/Eastern
    Raw: Michelle Obama Arrives In Denver
    Barack Obama's status as the rock-star candidate of the US election campaign is highlighted yet again with an array of celebrities descending on Denver for the Democratic Convention.
    Yet as Hollywood prepares to decamp to Colorado for a series of VIP events held on the sidelines of the convention, presidential hopeful Obama is likely to keep a careful distance from the glitterati, analysts say.
    Republican rival John McCain's campaign has recently sought to turn Obama's surging popularity into a weakness, scoring some direct hits by likening the Democrat to gossip-page perennials such as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.
    Because of this, analysts say, Obama will be leery of campaigning alongside stars from the entertainment world who have rushed to voice their support.
    "If I were Barack Obama right now I would be hoping against hope that the celebrities would just keep quiet about me," said Robert Thompson, pop-culture expert and professor of television at the University of Syracuse, New York.
    "It's true that after McCain's 'celebrity' ad, every single Hollywood person who comes out on the Obama bandwagon is more evidence for McCain's argument that he is a celebrity."
    Among stars expected in Denver are actors Ben Affleck, Josh Brolin, Annette Bening, Spike Lee, Anne Hathaway, Susan Sarandon and Charlize Theron.
    However celebrities are already alert to the possibility that turning the full wattage of their star power on Obama could be counter-productive.
    Oscar-winner George Clooney, an avowed Obama supporter, even took the unusual step of issuing a statement to deny he was in regular contact with the presumptive Democratic candidate.
    "I have never texted or emailed Senator Obama," Clooney said. "And I'll offer a million dollars to anyone who could prove otherwise. In fact, I've only talked to the Senator once in the last year and a half ... on the phone."
    Thompson meanwhile believes that celebrity endorsement could be useful provided it was packaged intelligently.
    "The McCain people decided to take the things that are Obama's assets -- he's charismatic, he's likeable, the press adore him -- all that stuff, and turn that into a liability," Thompson said.
    "Obama's people should respond by saying 'This is a really good thing. Obama has gotten people to forget about Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. He's a candidate who has a vision that people are paying attention to.'"
    Todd Boyd, professor of critical studies at the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts, echoed that view.
    "Being popular should be a good thing if you're running for president," Boyd told AFP. "If John McCain could draw 250,000 people in Berlin, he would do it. If he could fill up a football stadium at his convention, he would do it."
    "I think Obama could very easily say 'What's wrong with being popular? There's nothing wrong with being a talented public speaker who can captivate a large crowd.'"
    According to Boyd, McCain's attacks on Obama's "celebrity" were designed to feed into the notion that Hollywood was not to be trusted.
    "The Republicans are appealing to a sense that Hollywood, celebrity, popularity are on the left, liberal, out-of-touch," Boyd said, warning that Obama would be unwise to shy away from "going negative" against McCain.
    "Whether it's Al Gore or John Kerry, the Democrats have a history of not being able to play on the same terrain as the Republicans," Boyd said. "Somehow they think that if you take the high road it's going to appeal to people, that people don't like negative ads.
    "But people like negativity -- they love it, they wallow in it. The Republicans know this and thrive on it."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080825152627.mcah8kx1&show_article=1

2. McCain's been married twice. Obama only once.

Cindy McCain was addicted to alcohol and prescription painkillers, which she stole. From a charity. For underprivileged children.

John McCain has left behind two kids from his first marriage, then another kid from his first marriage, had a couple of kids from his second marriage (the ceremony his children refused to attend) then adopted another...

Obama is a full time father and has two kids.

Boy is that the truth. And they call themselves the party of family values, the party of morality, the party of that religious folk should support.

Just makes me wonder what would make someone vote for them.

3. You're comparing Clooney, Madonna, et. al. to McCain. Interesting. Think five years in a box affected the man?

I was commenting on the Hollywood elite, not the Candidates. and painkillers aren't crack rocks in the back of a limo. You didn't mention the kids McCain adopted, or his Son's who could live like fat cats and chose the military.

Now, go watch your 'Thelma and Louse' DVD.

4. Absolutely. the Republicans said in 2000 that he's probably crazy. Do we want someone who the Republicans said was mentally ill as president?

One son chose the military, the other son is a lobbyist, actually.

What's interesting is how your outrage about people who don't matter, celebrities, is suddenly quashed when the same standards are applied to someone who does matter, McCain or Obama.

In other words, you clearly have higher standards for celebrities than presidential candidates.