I have identified the enemy,,,,

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by John9999, Oct 27, 2018.

1. RedDuke

RedDuke

It has been live for only few months, so far no deviation. I need at least 1 year live to make sure. It is coded smart enough to adopt to market changes.

#21     Oct 28, 2018
  2. qlai

qlai

I wish you all the success, but these kind of statements make me quiver :) Maybe that is where the difference in our views come from - I prefer simple/dumb strategies which I can manually control based on market conditions. Not saying it's superior or anything.

#22     Oct 28, 2018
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Anything simple I ever tried did not work for me. I have a strategy that works fiansticlly for break outs, but other time it looses. Long term it never made money overall. February 5th of this year it was minting money. Made 5 percent that day.

#23     Oct 28, 2018
  4. Sprout

Sprout

What you are describing is the truth as you have experienced it. The successful ones that make it learned to unlearn what they thought was true to what was actually true.

Until one begins to observe the market in it’s basic granularity it’ll be like attempting to drive a car, looking in the rear view mirror, in a foreign land with different traffic rules and language without needed glasses.

Many describe this process in a variety of ways such as backtesting, working with a mentor or spending thousands of hours in front of a screen, etc. All with the associated advantages and disadvantages.

The commonality with those successful is how much they observed the accuracy of their underlying data and whether that is a solid foundation to build trust and confidence in their style of engagement with the market.

Without posting your view of the market it would be difficult to receive contextually relevant comments that would make a difference for you.

Most folks would choose to commiserate with others instead. The 95 or the 5 you get to choose.

If you think you are the enemy, that’s the wrong direction to accomplish your goals. A better start would be to become your own best friend.

#24     Oct 29, 2018
    schweiz likes this.
  5. Minerva25

Minerva25

oneself is the worst enemy of a trader anyday. how you overcome and handle yourself in the worst situations of markets defines you as what kind of a trader are you.

#25     Oct 29, 2018
  6. They

They

"For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his very mind will be the greatest enemy."

Bhagavad Gita 6.6

#26     Oct 29, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

I agree. The most powerful enemy is the one with most control over each and every one of your trades - yourself. Mark Douglas provides top quality help to get past this.

Another good point is that the major enemy is not another trader trying to take your money away. That kind of adversarial thinking verges on paranoia and can harmfully affect strategy.

#27     Oct 29, 2018
    qlai likes this.
  8. bilbo64

bilbo64

hands down!:thumbsup:

#28     Oct 29, 2018
  9. Awesome. Very few traders seem to be brave enough to take on the mental side of trading, which is the make or break aspect of long-term profitability and the most difficult part of trading to master. The Douglas book "Trading In The Zone" is NOT a good book to work on your mental aspect of trading contrary to popular belief.

It's a great book and written really well, however, he does not tell you HOW to change your mental side of trading, nor does his seminar. I assure you, thinking in probabilities does NOT stop emotions from highjacking your trading plan (right brain thinking/logical thinking).

The one book that stands far above all is "Mindful Trading: Mastering Your Emotions and The Inner Game" by Rande Howell. I highly suggest getting the workbook with it. You can find both on his website ( mytraderstateofmind (.com) ).

I've read countless books and have taken countless courses. Of course the go to as you mentioned, "Trading In The Zone" which is incredibly weak on actually teaching you HOW to work with your emotions (which are actually BIOLOGICAL first, mental second), of course the Van Tharpe stuff including his recorded seminars. Trader Mind by Steve Ward; Trade Mindfully by Gary Dayton and many more which I won't list.

Be patient because it will take you some time to work through stuff. At least two months before you start to see real results in your trading, but then it snowballs and within a few months you will see a HUGE positive difference in your trading results.

I promise you if you don't work through the mental stuff you'll be like a hamster on a wheel. Doing a lot of work but going nowhere fast and seeing absolutely no longterm positive results in your trading. No matter what technique you add to your trading, because you won't be able to trade it worth a darn because your emotions will high jack your trading, time and time again.

#29     Nov 5, 2018
    John9999 likes this.
  10. schweiz

schweiz