I have a system, now what

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dude_03, Jan 31, 2013.

1. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Why don't you go talk to them and see if there's an offer to be worked out. You might be (1) a reasonable seasoned quant on the sell side with enough background that a big boy quant shop might want to fish you in and work something out with you, or (2) a junior quant working on some desk risk model, in which case, your trading model is likely worth a whole lot less than you think.

In any case, you might want to consider trading on your proven human capital rather than some untested IP.

#21     Feb 1, 2013
  2. gmst

gmst

So, with your numbers I got some more feel of where exactly you are currently in your trading strategy development life cycle. From your numbers, my guess is you will discover a lot more things about the market over the next year and your improved strategy a year down the line would be much better compared to what you have now.

hilo gave you good practical advice. You may go that way.

However if you find getting a foot in the door is hard, then I would say: come up with your 50k and start trading the strategy on auto. Or if compliance stops you, trade through your uncle or your girl friends account. Give yourself 1 more year at your job and keep improving your strategy. At the end of your 1st year, you would have gained real trading experience and made some money and saved some more. Good luck.

#22     Feb 1, 2013
  3. dude_03

dude_03

Would you mind sharing here or via PM the names of these firms?

#23     Feb 2, 2013

4. -1

#24     Feb 2, 2013
  5. +2

#25     Feb 2, 2013
  6. the poor guy has been talking to computers so long, he doesn't even know how to talk to human beings anymore

#26     Feb 2, 2013
  7. here it is!

#27     Feb 2, 2013
  8. A lot of banks will run prop algo strategies.

You may have to merge your stuff with some client flow in order to sell it.

Just find the right bank, or the right group within your bank.

Probably best not to mention the bit about trading-on-your-own-account, you sneak sneaky quant :p

#28     Feb 2, 2013
  9. 2rosy

2rosy

Just about any firm in chicago would listen to your idea. You wouldn't need to go into detail; they would know if it makes sense.

#29     Feb 2, 2013
  10. dude_03

dude_03

Yeah, machines are rational, some human beings don't talk much sense.

Or please prove me wrong, always happy to see things from new points of view.

And if it's for the remark about people who made it trading - agree, not clever to say something like this in a forum called Elite Trader, but well, I think that's reality.

#30     Feb 2, 2013