I have a low gpa, can I find a prop trading job?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by browncoat, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Hello, I graduated in finance, but I have a bad GPA. It is below a 3 and that's all I'm saying about that. Anyways, does anyone know of any firms that hire, regardless of gpa?

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm not sure about this one, only because the times have changed with prop shops. The firm I worked for the longest (can't recommend them because they are no longer around) had traders from all walks of life. Non college grads, poker players, ivy leaguers, state u grads, high gpa's, low gpa's, etc...the list goes on and on.

Funny thing is this...when we eventually closed our doors there were only about five of us who were there for the long haul. One never step foot in a college class, one graduated early from the University of Chicago with honors, one went to a lower tiered college and took five years to graduate, one came from an impoverished country with very little opportunity, and the last attended a school with a good reputation and got a degree in sociology.

So, basically I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. But, I have always found this interesting because of the guys I used to work with who were all very good traders.

The bottom line is that of the five people I mentioned, each worked their asses off and had sheer determination.

It's hard to say who will end up trading as a career and who will not. All I can say is that hiring inexperienced traders can be a crap shoot.

Good luck with your search.

3. I'm still in college but, can you go back into school and get a second degree in computer programming or something? Raise your GPA, plus I would imagine programming is a decent plus to that field.

4. rosy2

rosy2

what makes you standout? where did you go to school? what was your SAT scores?

A low gpa alone only implies you're dumb or lazy.

5. Do you have:

* 10 grand?
    * Ability to pass the series 7?
    * A pulse?

If you answered yes to all three, you're good to go.

6. oriol88

oriol88

There's a lot of factors to explain bad performance. That you don't like what you study is one of them. That you work or have other concerns are also handicaps.

Those who have high gpa's show that they have order in their lives.

7. You shouldn't need any money to join a true prop firm

hth

8. You're right, but firms that operate on that model are <b>way</b> less common than they were back in the day.

9. I work for one

10. A low gpa alone only implies you're dumb or lazy.

On the contrary, a prop firm should be a perfect fit for you!

#10     Jan 24, 2009