I have a dream.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by STOCKKBROKER, Feb 23, 2002.

1. it seems to me that to become a high volume trader you need to take larger intraday swings.. Ie no scaping.
    So maybe you should START with learning how to do that. Then later you don't have to relearn your tactics as you volume up...

#11     Feb 23, 2002
  2. sabena

sabena

G Morgan,

Yes, when you start out with a small capital
    you can scalp but when your account size
    starts the grow you have make your average
    time in a trade longer, start more to swingtrade
    then pure scalping...

#12     Feb 23, 2002
  3. As your capital base grows you tend to scalp more instruments, other markets and different systems.

#13     Feb 23, 2002
  4. Me love to scalp, Kemosabe.

#14     Feb 23, 2002
  5. As it was posted........trading size is very important and with increase size you need to be able to handle it mentally and emotionally. I trade overnites and I am probably averaging less positions per nite than a few years ago but I have increase size. But it took me awhile to feel comfortable mentally at each new trading level. And I still have a restless nite sleeping when I max-out my capital. I overcame my quick trigger finger on taking profits on my larger size positions by setting profit targets and scaling out rather than selling all at once.Like everything about trading.......it takes time,dedication and discipline along with a few other items to keep growing in knowledge,consistency and profitability.

#15     Feb 23, 2002
  6. Honestly, I can say that size finally caught up with me. I made 218% last year by constantly upping my size. This was especially true of once we got 4:1 bp. AT some point, It finally just scared me. I'm not a million dollar trader. I will be though, someday. But I don't need to do it in one year. I found that having about 2 weeks of consecutive 5 figure days (some up, some down) that the size had finally caught up with me. I swung my account in a 40k range, and at the end of 2 weeks I was up a measly 5k or so. I realized that it was time to drop it down again. I'm quite happy with just 2-3k a day, as long as i can do it every day. That doesn't scare me though from occasionally taking serious size. I'm sitting over the weekend with 57k shares of some position I've been chomping on since the close on thursday. Most of the time though I just trade much smaller.
    I have found that keeping my account at 60k, and sweeping it down every time it gets to 80k, that I can keep my account swings much smaller. I use my winnings to "invest" in ideas I have.

#16     Feb 23, 2002
  7. Rigel

Rigel

Sitting on 57K shares of one stock over the weekend? Sounds like it should be interesting no matter what happens. Hope you'll let us know how it turns out. What's your risk, worst case?

#17     Feb 23, 2002
  8. I just have a hunch that the 57K share position is in a stock trading below a dollar. Is it a BB stock.?

#18     Feb 23, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

I doubt it - _IF_ it is an outright position, the only one that makes sense _TO_ME_ is KM.

If it is a Risk Arb or Pairs, it could be anything.

nitro

#19     Feb 24, 2002
  10. tuna

tuna

I'd put my bet with you there Nitro...I think it was Prae that was'nt shy on playing Ene too...Like me he doe'snt mind playing em.... 2nd guess would be Jmxi.. Good luck with it whatever it is Prae

#20     Feb 24, 2002