I have 200k in my IRA, would like to trade it

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BUTfr, Apr 29, 2012.

1. BUTfr

BUTfr

I am not trying to decide whether trading is profitable or not, or whether a trader can make money or not.

My question is how much I give to the trader for his work, what percentage of the profit?

If the trader doesn't make money, there is no profit sharing.

Risk? trading has risks, yes, I understand that. I hope you also understand that, because most of you sound so scared. :)

#21     May 1, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

cause we know the outcome.

#22     May 1, 2012
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

The problem with trading IRAs is that you can only go long!

#23     May 1, 2012
  4. Bob111

Bob111

says who?
    not only you can short. today you can do it x2 or x3. to kill your savings even faster.

for some unknown reason SEC is more than happy to allow everyone go short on X leverage,even on IRA accounts,while still 'protecting' regular folks with their mighty PDT rules. good job SEC! way to go!
    f**g pathetic organization..

http://etf.stock-encyclopedia.com/category/leveraged-etfs.html

#24     May 1, 2012
  5. Offer 80/20 split on the profits, 80% to the trader, and 50/50 split on losses, if any. Prepare to go as high as 90/10 on the profits. Run, don't walk, away if you do not get the 50/50 split on the losses.

Good luck.

#25     May 1, 2012
  6. I don't know about the SEC, but TOS allows you to do anything you want, except sell options naked, if I recall correctly. May have changed under TD, don't know, but I'm sure previous account holders were grandfathered on that.

However, the OP should note that shorting is quite a bit riskier and less profitable (in the aggregate; those who are good at it would of course dispute this) than going long. Lots of reasons, but to (over)simplify, the market has a long-term up bias, which means you're betting against the house if you go short.
    Regardless of whether you're allowed or not, long-only is better if you're just starting out.

#26     May 1, 2012
  7. clacy

clacy

In the unlikely event that this is not just a trolling post...

I would highly recommend splitting your $200k into several different asset classes via ETF's and simply rebalancing yearly.

You could buy VTI (total US stock market), EEM (emerging market stocks), TLT (long term US treasuries), GLD (gold), DBC (commodity basket), VNQ (REIT), SHY (short term US treasuries) , LQD (corporate bonds), HYG (junk bonds), BWX (foreign bonds).

If you do that in 20 years you'll have vastly more money than if you trade it yourself, hand it over to another trader, or just invest in the stock market only.

#27     May 1, 2012
  8. Skip the ETFs, and the Options, these markets are both for suckers unless you have a down pat system, since your new to trading I am guessing not.

Buy low and sell high, skip indicators, skip what everyone else says, just trade the damn thing and make some money. If your heart races and you freeze like a deer in the head lights then STOP trading, figure it out and come back.

After the account is down 25% to 50% PM me I can help you out..

Good Luck!

#28     May 2, 2012
  9. Bob111

Bob111

to finish with the rest? :)

#29     May 2, 2012
  10. the going rate is 2% of the gross and 20% of the profit

although now since times is bad many hedge funds have reduced a little bit if you refuse to pay the going rate

#30     May 2, 2012