i hate when tv shows try to explain why the dow is up 4 points

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Nov 12, 2002.

1. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

i dont know if you noticed however typically when MARIA BARITROMO (sp?) is on and indicates a movement in any one direction the market goes the opposite a few mins after the open... if you havent pay attention next time its sooo funny...

#11     Nov 12, 2002
  2. i just heard a minute ago on fox news that we're up today because:

"investors putting aside war worries"

#12     Nov 12, 2002
  3. Rigel

Rigel

Just on CNBC
    "The Dow is up 150pts. Stay tuned for the reason why."
    Then I'm talking to myself. (pretty normal)
    "Who cares. If you DON'T know why it's up then your news is worthless and if you DO why it's up then it's already happened and it's still worthless, so what's the point?".
    It's a clue to their character. They know they don't know why it's up but they still pretend they do. Posing. Assuming. Unreal. "Blah blah,blah". :p
    Sort of like reading a magazine though, it passes the time.

#13     Nov 12, 2002
  4. It's all to get you to keep tuned in while the commercial runs

#14     Nov 12, 2002
  5. the funny thing is he WAS right :D, for the average Joe, it IS the best strategy AND probably the best time to start. Especially if he picks passively managed tracking funds. If you ask me, I'd say that it actually applies to more than just the average Joe. It probably applies to all joes except very very few, and you better be right about being one of them. But that's just my opinion :)

#15     Nov 12, 2002
  6. drop the "teach" part and you'll be correct. Some who teach do CAN do and DO do. Why do you all have this need to vent frustration with academia and its inhabitants??? Were it not for them, you'd have no idea what an option is worth etc.

#16     Nov 12, 2002
  7. dottom

dottom

I agree wholeheartedly! I owe my trading success to those in academia. Without their developments and the numerous papers available for me to research, I would not have been able to build my NN model, nor my DSP-based momentum indicator used for day trading.

#17     Nov 12, 2002
  8. dottom

dottom

I personally love it because it reminds me of the irrational reasoning that causes inefficiencies in the market whereby us traders can profit.

Same goes for when you are on a train or in a restaurant and here people talking about the markets. Part of you wants to jump in and correct them, but the Darwinian side of you wants to let nature take its course.

#18     Nov 12, 2002
  9. This is the reason why I keep my tv on mute during trading hours. Every single idea that I have ever "heard" or been subconsicously brainwashed by throughout the day, has either killed me for trying, or been a huge lost opportunity for passing something up.

My favorite is after the close, practically everyday now, when they have some no name goof fund pro on & they will be asked, what % cash are they in and what/if they are buying. "We are looking for quality names, companies with enormous cash amounts and earnings potential..." NO s h i t sherlock. What a genius. No wonder I have not made any money this year, I have been looking for complete horse s h i t stocks. When I invest my money, I look for companies that have no cash, are burning through funds like water, have no ROI, pipeline opportunities, and growth outlook. What is especially good is when the company you are interested in is getting killed on gross profit margins, and comp revenue sales. Thank goodness for CNBC to help me understand.

How about everytime someone has come on in the last three years, and said, we are putting in a bottom here and you have to be 100% invested in equities right now, that way you will not miss the next market downturn. That way in the next year, you can lose your ass and be a big loser. YOU will have so many losses that you will not even be able to "wash" sale them into the year 3000. THanks a bunch CNBC and the rest...................Could not trade without you...........

#19     Nov 12, 2002
  10. VictorS

VictorS

Not to be mean or offensive, but....

:D :p man, I can't stop laughing.

#20     Nov 12, 2002