I hate those trend days.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ditch, Dec 2, 2002.

1. i'll have to look but i doubt i am making 10/day, AND i am not consistent. i may score 20 one day and lose 15 the next ...driving me absolutely crazy!

i have to get more consistent cause i can't go on like this...i won't last.

right now i'm looking over your stuff, ditch's, and inandlongs. and i'd luv to see wally's.

wally, wish i could see what you are up to you trading/systems GENIUS you!...wally are you listening? i am sucking up over here:D

#41     Dec 2, 2002
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Would you be willing to discuss what you're doing, even if you don't want to start a journal? There are good minds here, and most of them are willing to help without trying to talk you into doing what they're doing.

--Db

#42     Dec 2, 2002
  3. yeah i would be willing to share but i'm not sure i have anything interesting or significant to say (yet). i trade discretionary, S/R, soft stops, that sort of thing. you and a few others here have me convinced that i need something more mechanical (my erratic p&l is screaming that too). trending days i do great, choppy days i give it back, no surprise ehh?

#43     Dec 2, 2002
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I don't know that it has to be mechanical, but perhaps more systematic. If you think that in order to be a real trader you have to feel the dynamics and feel the turning points, you're mistaken. Certainly some people can do that, but that doesn't mean that you stink if you can't. You may need to give it a shot and prove to yourself that you can't, but the trick is to get past that and get down to business.

There are some questions you have to ask yourself that will give you some idea of what general sort of strategy you want, but the time-consuming task is testing them out to see if they have an acceptable success rate and profit to loss ratio. Once you find one that looks promising, then you have to paper-trade it until you trust it. Then start playing with real money again.

So, if there's no design behind your trades, perhaps there's no point in posting them. But once you begin playing with a real strategy, you may want to post your trades after explaining what the strategy is so that others can keep you honest.

--Db

#44     Dec 2, 2002
  5. why did'nt anyone catch that 20 point drop on ES today from 10:00am -11:00? that's the kind of move i usually nail, and the other one in early afternoon. this been a 25 pointer for me today!

edit: whoops. this should read "this would've been a 25..." (i was in the john taking a whiz and missed a.m. move -DAMMIT, but i did pick up the 7 with afternoon short)

#45     Dec 2, 2002
  6. Ditch

Ditch

didn't wally catch it?

#46     Dec 2, 2002
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

:p

#47     Dec 2, 2002
  8. No, only 13 pts today... not that bad.

#48     Dec 2, 2002
  9. Ditch

Ditch

You disappoint me, wally.

#49     Dec 2, 2002
  10. qdz

qdz

no no no, I am still in the game. But I was off earlier today.

:p

#50     Dec 2, 2002