I hate it when i dont make money on days like this...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dsq, Jan 23, 2008.

1. buylo

buylo

I have learned that just because there is more vol and bigger moves, it does not translate into more $$$$. Guys in my shop DO NOT do as well in this enviroment.

Your entries are key and can often be noisy. The true market is 3 to 6 times wider then what you are used to.

Trade smaller, but don't get trivial with your entries just cuz of the smaller size.

Good Trading

#11     Jan 24, 2008
  2. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

that usually due to being gun shy and not believing in the rally..
    happens to me all the time but i actually did rather well yesterday and today. i look for something moving up on strong news that gapped up pre-mkt and wait patiently,usually about 5 mor 10 minutes for a bit of a pull back because of the market and jump in.but yes,its a bad feeling and happens to more traders than you think. we are all programmed not to chase stocks. and another thing,when we see the low on a stock was 50 for the day and its now at 52,our mind tells us we missed it when in fact there could be 2 or 3 more points left in it.

#12     Jan 24, 2008
  3. on the money

on the money Guest

You are not the only one who violated all the rules. I was up $1500 day b4 yesterday and finished down $1400.
    Yesterday I was up $1200 and finished down $1500. All this transpired within a few minutes each day, with just one or two bad decisions.
    Rule number one: When you have a fast, tidy profit, turn off the computer and take the rest of the day off.

#13     Jan 24, 2008
  4. i made money yesterday, but it was one of the most stressful days for me.

I normally build up my daily profit gradually through multiple trades and have very small % of losses.

But in this volatile lunacy, I was in red multiple times before finally turning green for the day, just barely making $1.1k.

This market can be great, but it also leaves less room for any complacency or mistake.

Stay safe, folks.

#14     Jan 24, 2008
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

although i try not to it was also quite stressful for me...i made 1k and figure it took 6 months off my life...:D

just rest assured there is a high probability that it will remain this way for a while...so plan accordingly...peace....

#15     Jan 24, 2008
  6. my stress level has gone up considerably.

i need more breaks between trades.

i still don't have the balls to go for home runs though.

very tough to stay disciplined....

#16     Jan 24, 2008
  7. In the same boat - gave up $5 on the TWM yesterday because of poor fill. Missed about $1.50 and then because I was on the phone with the broker investigating the trade missed another $3.50. The only schmuck there was me - twice - once for trading with that shop and the other for 'knowing' that they were going to screw me and therefore screwing myself in a fast market.

I got out, following my "don't trade a screwup" rule. Had I held on, it would have come back $4, but not my full $5 (and I would have missed the trade & blown a more substantial amount of my profit). I was really kicking myself about that until I woke up from a nap & noticed it was trading 85. Didn't feel that bad then. That rule still holds.

Rule #1 - Don't compound errors

Rule #2 - Anytime the market gives you an unexpected windfall that you did not anticipate in your trade, take it and run. You did not analyze the trade correctly.

#17     Jan 24, 2008
  8. on the money

on the money Guest

I gave rule number one.
    You gave rules two and three.
    :)

#18     Jan 24, 2008
  9. I hear ya. When the year started, I made the decision that I'd rather have consistent and fairly predictable profits than what I had last year which usually swings deep from + to - . I haven't had $2000 days but I haven't had big losses either. So stress level has been kept to a minimum despite the volatility.

It's easy to get reckless knowing some people are putting up $10,000+ but that will only get me in trouble - the grass is always greener on the other side.

#19     Jan 24, 2008
  10. Good post.

#20     Jan 24, 2008