I got my anti-virus going haywire with ET

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by maxima120, Mar 18, 2016.

1. I havent opened this forum for a while. Today I got my AV jumping real hard off its pants almost on every page.

It says ads but I dont see any ads, and it alarms even on this page - for a new thread.

Which means - either it is false positive or you have a virus embedded into your website on low level on the machine and/or OS running it.

The log record:

18.03.2016 18.41.59;Download blocked;http://ads.elitetrader.com/www/deli...p://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php;Internet Explorer;Trojan program;03/18/2016 18:41:59

Pauly99 likes this.
  2. nursebee

nursebee

I see ads

3. Metamega

Metamega

I had a similar thing pop up on my laptop with kaspersky. Labeled it as Trojan program or something about ads... Exited and haven't got back on with my laptop. On my phone now

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Thanks for the feedback. I made some changes so please let me know if your AV is still going nuts.

5. seems fine now. thanks for the taking care of us ;)

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

No problem. Thanks for the heads up :fistbump::D

7. fhl

fhl

ET causing my cpu to go to and stay at elevated levels.

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Let me know if it's ok now.

9. fhl

fhl

Yes, ok now.

10. This is most likely something related to Angler - ad injection. Complex explanation. The big issue I see is that it is not clear to me who is at fault. It is not the browser and not the page deliverer, nor the salesman etc. If the ad supplier is hacked then everyone is in danger IMO.

The logs will not show it necessarily and the virus protection can miss it unless they protect against a spear attack.

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/07/21/a-closer-look-at-the-angler-exploit-kit/

The worst thing of all is that if your site is hacked, then there is no complete protection possible for a user until the site is fixed. There is still a theoretical issue in all computer coding - there is no 100% safe way of using the internet ( DARPA built) and to know whether a thread or even the next execution is friend of foe IMO.

#10     Jun 1, 2016