I got burned, but I dont know why

Discussion in 'Options' started by ANCOLL, Sep 7, 2007.

1. kny3

kny3

ANCOLL, my mistake on doing this 2 weeks in a row, didn't read your first post.

kny 3

:confused:

#11     Sep 8, 2007
  2. ANCOLL

ANCOLL

thanks for the reply kny3
    but the one i want to see is a chart which shows that SPX ever down to 1458 after the closing bell on thursday.

I asked others , some says there is extended hour market like future SPX after market close and news about unemployment made SPX settled down to 1458

But i couldnt find a proof for that.

I know i got confused, but I am trying hard to seek the answer.
    :(

#12     Sep 8, 2007
  3. kny3

kny3

Hello again. The SPX doesn't change (other than a few pennies if there is a late print on one of the S&P 500 components) after 3:00 pm central time, the closing of trading, Thursday in your case. What you're seeing as the price of the SPX Thursday night was the price at the closing bell Thursday.
    S&P futures trade for an additional 15 minutes, take a break, and trade until just before the opening on Friday.
    So Thursday afternoon after the close, the S&P Sep future may have been down 4 or 5 points or 10 points, but the SPX # doesn't change.
    So to answer your question, there is no SPX chart between Thursday's close and the opening settlement Friday. Follow the future. If you see the SPX opening off $0.50 Friday morning, that's because only 10 stocks opened so far - the future is telling you an inkling of where the index is headed.
    And the unemployment # was Friday an hour before the opening, not after the close thursday.

This site is (in part) to help newbie traders like you learn - sometimes from our mistakes, I once bought an OEX (S&P 100, PM settlement, cash settled, AMERICAN Style) time spread many years ago (at a very good price by the way), and woke up one morning to find I had been assigned on the short side. My spread turned into a fairly large, long position. I wiggled out of the position a little North of break-even, and didn't trade in OEX until I learned how American style cash settled index options worked.

kny 3 :cool: :D

#13     Sep 8, 2007
  4. mde2004

mde2004

I lost over 9k overnight on an SPX trade and never looked back after that.

#14     Sep 8, 2007
  5. Wait til tripple witch on the normal 3rd friday ......some geat fuck jobs on the settlement price. The NDX is great for that a few times a year......This is the dirty secret that banks and funds and do to maniplute prices and pocket a few 100M a year on very little buying power to manipulate the futures.....will continue to happen and get on there side and buy these calls and puts and cash that lotto Ticket.

#15     Sep 8, 2007
  6. This thread has been quite entertaining.....

#16     Sep 9, 2007
  7. timbo

timbo

Yeah. I especially enjoyed the bollinger band pic's.

#17     Sep 9, 2007
  8. ANCOLL

ANCOLL

Thanks kny3
    Yup, i also got the same answer about unemployment rate during that day.

I am looking at - future S&P mini - chart now and use it for the next trading,
    will be trying on this week.

#18     Sep 10, 2007
  9. ANCOLL

ANCOLL

Thanks kny3
    Yup, i also got the same answer about unemployment rate during that day.

I am looking at - future S&P mini - chart now and use it for the next trading,
    will be trying on this week.

#19     Sep 10, 2007
  10. Exactly how cheap are these lotto tickets at end of business on Thursday prior to expiry?

#20     Sep 10, 2007