I Gambled on RIMM, Now What?

Discussion in 'Options' started by JTG, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Tide31

Tide31

Ditto. Dollar, Spain, Greece, Analyst comments, BAC broke $15 price of secondary, etc... Who knows what the AM brings.

At least half asap.

#11     Dec 17, 2009
  2. Mvic

Mvic

See if the Nasdaq will comp you a room?

#12     Dec 17, 2009
  3. ess1096

ess1096

I'm just curious, since you were just "gambling" on the earnings, why not the December calls??

#13     Dec 17, 2009
  4. Calculate the fair value of the option using the implied vol the option closed with yesterday and the price the stock will open. This has to be done 5 mins or less before the open.

Sell at a limit maybe 5% above that price. Get the order in at the open.

If not filled in the opening noise, drop your limit to the fair value using the previous closing implied vol.

If not filled, sell half where you can.

The reason for this is that implied vol collapses after the earnings release. This is especially true for out of the money (luckily, you are not), but best value from the options trade will be had getting out like this. If you hold, you're now trading the stock which is fine... it's just a different trade.

Understand?

#14     Dec 17, 2009
  5. <sigh> no. wrong.

#15     Dec 17, 2009
  6. Tide31

Tide31

suggestions? OP said he made purchase to specifically play the earnings. You saying he should hold out for a higher price? He paid $3.30 in premium for these otm calls. If he holds them until Jan he will lose whatever premium will be in there tomorrow. With time decay if he does nothing and the stock stays here, he could turn a $5-6 winner into a $2.50 winner.

#16     Dec 17, 2009
  7. Never hedge. In fact, if you are sure about your position I would buy more. If it goes the wrong way, then sell. Anyway, that's what I would do.

#17     Dec 17, 2009
  8. it's a silly suggestion to "hedge" by shorting the stock. read my answer above... that's how i'd play it unless i wanted to play the direction of the stock... but that's a different play tomorrow.

people screw around thinking theyre hedging but they are just complicating the position. for instance... how many deltas are you going to hedge? what are you going to do when you hedge say 80 deltas and then the vol collapses? when are you going to unwind this "hedge"? gamma risk gets silly middle of next month... the whole thing is silly... sell the freakin options don't "hedge" anything.

if the suggestion was driven by the idea that RIMM will open too high that's ok (probably misguided but ok)... but it's a poor answer for the options play.

keep it simple. if you can unwind the trade dont make it more complicated with another leg.

#18     Dec 17, 2009
  9. it does not make sense. RIMM DEC 65 call today, high was close to $2.6 and low was close to $1.6. How did you you get yours filled at $3.3?

You mean you bought RIMM DEC 65 puts? DEC 65 puts today, high was around $3.8 and low as around $3.00. Your $3.3 was in that range.

#19     Dec 17, 2009
  10. Tide31

Tide31

Agree, but options weren't open when he started thread. We just told him if he was worried he could hedge half. Easy enough to leg out of it. Next poster checked and today's high in these was nowhere near $3.30. I thought that sounded a little high with the stock at 63.50?

#20     Dec 17, 2009