i found the holy grail

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by dumbgai, Sep 28, 2008.

1. I had a strategy that posted 14 straight winners and no losers. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't work tomorrow.:D

#21     Sep 29, 2008
  2. I've found the grail several times. The best grail used information that wasn't available at the trade time [bad testing, used an indicator based on the close of the bar and assumed intrabar entries]. The second best one ignored what happens inside a bar and assumed certain things about the order of occurence of the high and low.. that was a great grail until I tested it on tick data of course... I'm working on a grail currently but this time I'm starting with tick testing...

#22     Sep 29, 2008
  3. vingbel

vingbel

Hey fractals, good post.

That's what I constantly see around here. I like real PA analysis, but around here, it's always after the fact. No one ever posts their thoughts on the chart as they were making their decisions based on their rules. Like, hey I can see to enter on that pullback in a uptrend! But what were you thinking, when you entered at the time? Why did you enter? How many HHs did you see? What made you assume it was another pullback and not a reversal, etc.? You get the idea. Anyway, nice post.

#23     Sep 29, 2008
  4. mind

mind

everybody went that route at one point of time ...
    amazing ...

#24     Sep 30, 2008
  5. Kerro

Kerro

I was fooled by that too :)

#25     Oct 1, 2008
  6. eagle

eagle

There is ego of that. Sounds like "My system could make bigger profit, and therefore commission is meaningless".

Commission rate should be set to the priciest broker.

#26     Oct 1, 2008
  7. MAD10

MAD10

commissions are the smaller of the two problems (and could actually be ignored if needed). slippage (realistic bid/ask spreads and points of entry) has killed many of my "otherwise" promissing strategies. if one does not use actual bid/ask data, a realistic fixed amount slipage could be used as well (but probably needs to be adjusted frequently based on observations and current conditions).

#27     Oct 1, 2008
  8. breakdown and buy your data in tick form to build your bars....without this info (time and sales) every TS user has the grail........until they understand high frequency trading. Trade well.

#28     Oct 1, 2008
  9. Could you please post some examples of accepted data feeds?

Daniel

#29     Oct 1, 2008
  10. vingbel

vingbel

What do you consider high frequency trading?

Also, I'm not understanding: Do you use T and S and bars build with tick data or just bars built with tick data?

#30     Oct 1, 2008