i found the holy grail

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by dumbgai, Sep 28, 2008.

1. this could be a huge difference

#11     Sep 28, 2008
  2. TT1

TT1

What is the one technical indicator that you use?

Thank You!

#12     Sep 28, 2008

3. Easy answer. You paper-traded those profits. Anyone can make money on paper. I turned 20k into 700k TWICE on virtual stock exchange. (inside 6 months)

#13     Sep 28, 2008
  4. d08

d08

All can't make money of paper. Validity of the system depends on the complexity (e.g. the more complex the system the less likely it will work in the future) and already mentioned number of trades.
    Suggest you backtest on different markets and with more historical data. I think you'd need double (triple?) that annual return with the same risk profile to call it a holy grail :)

#14     Sep 28, 2008
  5. I know the strategy you are using. Add commissions and slippage and it dies. Add more people who know about it and you'll be losing money on it.

Next!

#15     Sep 28, 2008
  6. d08

d08

What type of strategy is it?

#16     Sep 29, 2008
  7. ljmlmvlhk

ljmlmvlhk Guest

Hows it done ?
    Easy !

The software determines the buy and sell signal at the end of the bar and you code the software to buy and sell at the beginning of the bar.

Then take out the commissions....

Very easy with smoke and mirrors dumbguy.

#17     Sep 29, 2008
  8. You are kind of missing a few stats aren't you? Profit Factor? Sharpe?

In 2001, when at a low point, atarting there to leverage the market heavily could also achieve 100% annually, with one trade

Hold&Hope systems on hundreds of backtests don't have much value...

#18     Sep 29, 2008
  9. mind

mind

a market neutral strategy tested without adjusting for
    commissions. meaningless.

#19     Sep 29, 2008
  10. vingbel

vingbel

Along with the other comments that this strategy doesn't take into account real trading, I'd add that we can't comment on it because there isn't enough posted about it. So let's end this discussion and turn to trading strategies that give us some meat on the bones.

#20     Sep 29, 2008