I found Madoffs money

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by stock777, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HEDGE FUND MESS JUST BEGINING TO COME HOME TO ROOST
    Madoff will not be an isolated case

Over a year ago we questioned whether there was sufficient regulation of the Hedge Fund industry (click here to read). In light of the Madoff meltdown the important question brokers must be asking now is not IF more regulation is necessary, but should remove your client’s money as soon as possible from the many managed accounts around the world. I would say unequivocally the answer is the latter. Madoff is not a single rotten apple in the bunch and the lone exception to the rule. Rather, Madoff is a reflection of lack regulation and quite frankly negligence on the part of many of the various agencies who were entrusted to protect investors. In August of 2007 Goldman and Bear each reported losses in proprietary hedge funds to the tune of 10 billion combined. At the time we questioned why nobody was looking at these companies and more importantly, we were concerned that ‘if the best and brightest minds on Wall Street are losing billions, what about all these main street American hedge funds”? The simple truth is that these hedge fund managers are desperate right now to retain investors and stop liquidations and redemptions of their funds. One prominent Hedge fund manager told me last week “ I had nearly a billion dollar fund last summer and now im down to 375 million in assets due o redemptions”
    These numbers are staggering to say the least and as a Financial Advisor you better be on your guard for Enron type of accounting in the next few months. Think about this for a second: The regulators allowed a “ponzi scheme” to be allowed for over 10 years at Madoff until Madoff turned himself in and had his children call the authorities.
    Im going to say this again for affects sake but hear what I’m saying:
    Madoff turned himself in and had his children call the authorities.
    In other words, this whole charade could have continued without anyone knowing for several more years. More chilling is the obvious fact that in all likelihood many hedge funds are not even being reviewed for the most basic of things like year end reporting, accounting and performance. This is not to say that all hedge funds are frauds like Madoff, however we truly believe that the environment was right for abuses due to the lack of any basic oversight. Unless your hedge fund can provide total transparently (which they very rarely do) we would caution brokers about the safety of heir funds. Sadly, when the proverbial crap hits the fan, these hedge funs will close and the trial lawyers and the regulators will turn on the individual advisors and question why THEY didn’t due more due dillie on the fund or its managers. We would urge all Financial Advisors to immediately DEMAND complete transparency from any money manger or hedge fund in which they have recommended. If they refuse to back up their performance numbers, show their holdings and provide complete accounting, its time to get out of dodge quick. Madoff will not be one isolated case. Remember, MADOFF TURNED HIMSELF IN AFTER 10 YEARS OF UNDETECTED FRAUD!

#11     Dec 17, 2008
  2. A Time machine moment::::::
    ------------------------------------------------
    stock777 said on 2-28-08 08:40 PM

You know, I used to think all these hedge fund guys were scum , gambling with other peoples $$$$ and disguising ponzi schemes with fancy math and fancy lunches.

Now I KNOW it.

----------------------------------------------------

#12     Dec 17, 2008
  3. um he lost MOST of it in the market and gave the rest out for client withdrawals.

Think Nick Leeson to the power of 50.:D

#13     Dec 17, 2008
  4. Really, he found a way to LOSE billions? This from a guy that knew how the game worked?

Bullshit.

Even if he took in new money to pay old 'profits' , the money would still be in the hands of those that collected it. Of course they could have spent much of it.

But lost? I doubt it.

#14     Dec 17, 2008
  5. ...and the idea that he acted alone??? LMAO...There had to be no less then 20-30 maybe 100 others who knew

#15     Dec 17, 2008
  6. Ya'll do know the first snowflake of the coming avalanche of lawsuits has been filed today.
    Financial Advisors as a group might virtually cease to exist after this is over.
    But that'l be many years from now.

#16     Dec 17, 2008
  7. agreed....and guess what? this is not an isolated case....can you say DOW 5000 by jan/ feb???

#17     Dec 17, 2008
  8. One thing I don't understand is how he was able to get around IRS? Don't brokers report net capital gains/losses of their clients to IRS as well?

#18     Dec 17, 2008
  9. Financial Advisor =

someone just as dumb as you, but after you lose your shirt you have someone to blame and curse.

#19     Dec 17, 2008
  10. I saw a Houston woman interviewed on CNBC this morning, she said her accountants are now having to figure out how to tell the IRS she paid tax on fantasy profits.

#20     Dec 17, 2008