I feel like giving up!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Unquestionably, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Below is the most accurate representation for success rate of new single establishments over ten years.

The only question is which year are you talking about, and what defines success. I suppose that there are a huge portion that are barely turning a profit of $15-20K annual. Don't know that I would call that a success. But everyone uses their own yardstick.

#31     Feb 2, 2011
  2. jokepie

jokepie

So you merely joined ET a few days ago to tell people you are quitting ??
    Thanks...dear compulsive blogger.

#32     Feb 2, 2011
  3. olias

olias

what was your previous ET handle?

#33     Feb 2, 2011
  4. deaddog

deaddog

Trading is a business, treat it like one if you want to succeed.

#34     Feb 2, 2011
  5. #35     Feb 2, 2011
  6. Unquestionably coolweb.

#36     Feb 2, 2011
  7. If your not succeeding you have no plan. Plan your work and work your plan.

If you want it bad enough you will find a way, I know because I did, took 10 years, and a lot of support from my wife who makes 80k per year. Without her I would have given up, just like the 90% who try this.

#37     Feb 2, 2011
  8. When your barrier to entry is small, your chances for success are small, that's because more are competing for the same dollars.

#38     Feb 2, 2011
  9. It's interesting to note that when you found something that worked for you that you tested you had forgotten about the journey. I am sure you had spent years searching.

Whether a person is searching still or is overly creative should not be stifled. Harnessing creativity and finding a good fitting shoe as you have Handle123 is really what is important.

I am a believer that if a person has a good fitting shoe he wears it. He must first identify how much time he can spend being glued to the screen and realize the time and effort it takes to manually trade. He must first be able to manually trade to be able to consider automating.

I am sure there are hundreds of traders that do not believe in backtesting. I am sure they never backtested a day in their life. The approach always differs but the end result stays the same. A trader trades what he can do and what is comfortable. Sure he can adjust as he progresses in his journey, but the best way is to be natural. If it were easy everybody would learn how to trade and find what works for them...but it aint easy...

There can be traders that are not profitable...and maybe they are for periods at a time. A trader must be creative enough to know when something stops working and how to tweak it. Backtesting is one way...but not the only way. Learning how to code for automation seems to connotate a trader needs to learn C and become a programmer...How many traders that are profitable do you know that arn't programmers folks?

Anyways this post is from a trader that is not profitable...so throw it out and make your judgments...

ES

#39     Feb 2, 2011
  10. jinxu

jinxu

It was from an article on the success rate 5 years in (which is consistent with your graph). By success I meant still in business. That's a nice graph btw. Was there an article that came with it?

#40     Feb 2, 2011