I don't want your freakin SPAM

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by JAGUARBONE, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Obliviously this spam is an isolated and coincidental event.
    Biggerfish- You very well may have nailed the source issue.

As I stated before- I laid no claim of responsibility on ET for my 'penny stock' solicitation spam grief. (only the timing coincidence). I have the highest regard for the management and ownership of this forum.

These spam are from a spoofed or "phished" addressing method common to the practice, so return addresses are normal real E addresses yet involve unknown participants of the 'grime'.

I needed to let it be known that there is a prospect out there that will not click on, reply to or even 'go there' due to the method of their contact choice. For that I feel much better- as they now have been told - if they are out there.

I use to manage four e mail addresses but that novelty wore off when I realized the effort to just delete all the spam takes allot less time than visiting three other mail addresses. (again my purpose for complaining on ET was to send the message - tho the spammer probably does not visit the message boards. )
    That said, tho it may be a futile effort, it still feels good to unload! :D

Thanks all for your supporting replies.

#11     Nov 25, 2005
  2. hcour

hcour Guest

Jag,

Are you talking about this spam that almost always has "news" in its subject line touting some stock and the email looks like a news article and there is a different address everytime? This guy is spamming the hell out of me on my GMail account and it keeps getting thru because of the address change I suppose.

(Btw, I'm not saying this has anything to do w/ET, just wondering if others are getting this same crap.)

Harold

#12     Nov 30, 2005
  3. Joe

Joe

hcour,
    That does not come from us, it comes from your email being published out on the web. When your email is viewable to all, the spammers send out crawlers (similar to Google's) they search websites for emails, they record your email and put you on a list depending on the category that the website applies to. This is why we encourage all of our members to use the PM system. When you send us your email we do not publish it on the web its tucked away safely so that your email address is always protected by us.

For instance your email is on this page along with 50+ other people. I would contact them, to see if you can get it removed.
    http://www.purebytes.com/archives/metastock/2002/threads.html

My email is everywhere on the web. So I see all kinds of spam. support@elitetrader.com

Attached is the spam I believe you were referring to, they are able to get it through the spam filtering because it is actually a picture of words, not actual print.

#13     Nov 30, 2005
  4. Yes
    That is precisely it. Just as Joe has attached on his post. Some offers a different stock.
    Now, again, I NEVER insinuated the spam posts were coming from this message board / management or owner. I know the owner and well - I'm sure he doesn't need any "rewards" that a spammer could offer.

My purpose was to inform that I would NEVER entertain rewarding a spammer's efforts. My post assumption is I suspect the message board may have been a target for prospect gathering - how ever creative it may need to be.

May be paranoid somewhat but the timing of my signing on and getting the solicitations was very coincidental.

This spam must be seeing allot of in boxes when you consider even the few of us who have confirmed receipt of the mailings.

Shame this thread was moved to Feedback as it might have been even more interesting in seeing how many of us actually have got the posts.

Oh well, I must be bored......
    Thanks for your reply.

#14     Nov 30, 2005
  5. Why on Earth would you have your email addy listed in your profile?

#15     Dec 3, 2005
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Just so you know, I've never sold one email address to anyone for any reason in the 8 years of running this web site. I've always put member's privacy above making a buck because I hate SPAM myself and I don't want to treat you guys in a way that I would hate to be treated myself. If you receive spam, it's not because of us selling you out, I can assure you.

#16     Dec 3, 2005
  7. "Now, again, I NEVER insinuated the spam posts were coming from this message board / management or owner. I know the owner and well - I'm sure he doesn't need any "rewards" that a spammer could offer."
    Love ya Man - Mean it.

#17     Dec 3, 2005