I don't understand why y'all are so against options

Discussion in 'Options' started by baggerlord, May 29, 2003.

1. the problems with options:

-out of the money options are impossible for most people to accurately value.

-deep in the money contracts often do not provide any more leverage than futures.

-combination strategies are far too expensive in commissions and spreads

-SSF's do what most small speculators want options to do, which is provide a simple leveraged proxy for the stock.

#21     Jun 2, 2003
  2. the small time speculator who wants to make a simple directional bet is better off using e-mini's or SSF's.

#22     Jun 2, 2003
  3. I agree with dotslashfuture. Particularly SSF's, to be specific. e-mini's are a completely different thing again.
    But both certainly a lot safer than options traded by somebody who's not a wizard already.

I wouldn't say you can't make money with options. That's trash. I know ppl who make good money with options alone.
    I myself occassionally use options to hedge for longer-term (1+ days) positions - Great thing if you know how. Not too hard to learn, either.
    However, solely trading options is a scary thought for me. Makes e-mini trading feel like picking strawberries. The bid/ask spreads etc - Maybe I'll start doing that when I'm good enough - In another 25 years or so :D

Good Luck(!)
    ~The Scientist

#23     Jun 2, 2003