I don't understand this: "I am now fully hedged"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by OddTrader, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Many times that's correct, but not always.

#11     Oct 14, 2006

2. Nassim Taleb most recently . . I've read tonnes of trading books . . that's really all I read I graduated. Really if you name it I can tell you if I read it or not.

It's just the way Soros writes. The ideas are very incronguent . . .

If you want some examples I can crack it open . . .I probably have it marked where I stopped reading. . .

#12     Oct 14, 2006
  3. Would you mind to share a list of books that are written by real operators of hedge funds? I would appreciate that. TIA.

#13     Oct 14, 2006
  4. #14     Oct 14, 2006
  5. Q

"Too much life story, not enough trading - a disappointment. ... In contrast with "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator", Soros' "Alchemy of Finance", and the "Market Wizards" books, "No Bull" is disappointingly lightweight and lacking in insight."

"The book should be sub-titled "my life outside of the market". "

UQ

Probably Soros would be the only one detailing so much trade activities.

#15     Oct 15, 2006
  6. Yeah it's not exactly Total Recall . . .

Again the thing about the Soros book is that, when he wrote the book he was trying to recreate standing over his shoulder almost like a hologram . . . it was to great a task . . .the book lacks the hands on experience . . . I mean obviously . .

Reading Alchemy of Finance will not teach you how to be a better trader . . it leaves you wishing you were in the markets in the early 80's

There are many other books written by HF guys . . I don't know any off the top of my head though

#16     Oct 15, 2006
  7. Patton, ... "Rommel, you magnificent bastard. I read your book." Enough said. --- Paul Tudor Jones II (The Alchemy of Finance, George Soros, Page 2 Foreword)

#17     Oct 15, 2006
  8. Something was wrong in that last post (short yen must = short USD/JPY).

Anyways, in the example from Soros he is simply long DM/JPY -- I don't know where "fully hedged" comes in, because a pair like that moves.

#18     Oct 15, 2006
  9. woops sorri.

i was simply making the point that if the underlying USD value of the 2 positions are the same then he should be hedged to underlying fluctuations in the USD.

#19     Oct 15, 2006
  10. It's late but . . we're back where we started right?

from the excerpt, the best we've got is that:

Soros has no exposure to the USD?

And this is what he meant by "fully hedged"?

#20     Oct 15, 2006