I dont understand americans, and how they think/

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mahram, Dec 7, 2009.

1. As a European myself I have come to greatly admire the dept in knowledge some Americans have in the field of economics and their own history.

I keep track of mainstream and obscure media economic coverage, blogs and forums in 4 languages on a daily base from basically all over the world and the Americans outshine their peers by far with the British coming in closely.

No idea how marginal this phenomenon is?

Perhaps it's a very small amount of people drowning in a sea of stupidity around them but still, remarkable in my view.

Maybe it's because Wall Street and the world of investing has been such an integral part of US history like it or not.

#11     Dec 7, 2009
  2. To correct you it should be ...."ignorance from you."

Now whatcha gonna do tough guy skate over here and throw down. Bring it motherfuxxer. I'll pick you up at the airport bring ya over to the back yard then we'll feed ya lunch and send your ass on your way.

EDIT: You think I'm kidding...try me.

#12     Dec 7, 2009

3. I think it's less a matter of fault and more a matter of being held responsible. When you spend two years campaigning and asking the American people for your vote, you're going to be held responsible for anything that people don't like and get credit for everything they do like. The same is true of every President.

If you're looking to place blame for the economic crisis, read the following NYT article written in 1999 which predicted the economic collapse we're seeing today almost a full decade before it happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html

In 2003, efforts were made to correct the problems (see below).

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/b...ed-to-oversee-freddie-mac-and-fannie-mae.html

A majority of Democrats and many Republicans voted against the new financial regulations and oversight, killing it in both the House and the Senate.

If you want to place blame, there's plenty to go around dating all the way back to the mid-1990s.

#13     Dec 7, 2009
  4. mahram....perfect example.

A guy like bugs(the skater...What Would Brian Boitano Do) is offend by my description of your perception of some idiot Americans.

You should try dealing with these morons on a daily basis...fun fun..

#14     Dec 7, 2009

5. OBAMA VOTED FOR TARP. Did the bone-head reporter happen to mention that?

Obama also passed his own "stimulus bill" that was much worst than TARP. I know, the "stimulus bill" was Bush's fault too. At least a decent portion of TARP is being paid back. Over the long haul, TARP should be deficit neutral. You can't say that about Obama "stimulus bill".

For all the rest of the things you mentioned, Obama was still a US Senator when most of that was occuring and Obama did nothing to stop any of it. Doesn't Obama's action or lack of action as a US Senator count for anything?

Mahram sounds like a Canadian who is sitting on his high horse acting like a know-it-all but when it comes right down to it, he has no idea what he is talking about.

#15     Dec 7, 2009
  6. I have realized the same thing, and I will ad their legal system !

I think it's because information has an intrinsic value for the market... It needs information to exist.

#16     Dec 7, 2009
  7. Ricter

Ricter

One way to help you move through the muddle is to keep in mind that Americans are very individualistic when it comes to formulating solutions to problems, but very social, ie. blame the "other guy", when it comes to explaining the problems.

#17     Dec 7, 2009
  8. dsq

dsq

there is a lot of willful ignorance in this country...a lot of it is supported by a radical religious-political dogma.

#18     Dec 7, 2009
  9. Considering you saw this on a COMEDY show, I'm sure the producers just cherry picked the stupidest answers they got and put them on the program....for comedy purposes...

I certainly wouldn't draw the conclusion that this is how all Americans think...

Do you think all of America is retarded because you saw some stupid answers on Jay Walk?

#19     Dec 7, 2009
  10. really well said. I think it can be a really efficient way of solving problems! And moreover, a really creative one :)

#20     Dec 7, 2009