I don't think we will be seeing this in the deep south any time soon...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Nov 9, 2008.

1. SILVERTON, Ore. — Plenty of politicians reinvent themselves, but few do it quite like Mayor-elect Stu Rasmussen.

Rasmussen has been a fixture in Silverton politics for more than 20 years, and had twice before been mayor of the small city 45 miles south of Portland. Those terms, however, were before his breast implants and before the once-discreet crossdresser started wearing dresses and 3-inch heels in public.

Silverton has made Rasmussen the country's first openly transgender mayor, according to the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, a group that works to help openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people win elected office.

Rasmussen, 60, unseated incumbent mayor Ken Hector, with whom he had long clashed, by 1,988 votes to 1,512.

Because Rasmussen's appearance was no secret, the campaign was dominated by policy issues.

"I've blackmail-proofed myself," Rasmussen said.

The story of Rasmussen's election was first reported by JustOut, a bimonthly publication for Portland's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities.

"Stu never sought this recognition out," said JustOut reporter Stephen Marc Beaudoin. "He's interested in doing a great job for the community that he loves. The gender identity thing is just a total backseat thing."

That comes across when Rasmussen speaks in his decidedly masculine voice.

"I am a dude," he said. "I am a heterosexual male who appears to be a female."

His longtime live-in girlfriend, Victoria Sage, told The Oregonian newspaper that she and Rasmussen have been an item for almost 35 years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/09/americas-first-transgende_n_142503.html

2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Does that make the people of the south "worse" vs the enlightened ones in Oregon? You horrible judgemental person you. I mean you dont even know them!

3. So you are going to sit there and tell me you think the southern folks are going to vote in a cross dresser?

It is one thing to fuck your cousin, that's accepted...but voting in a cross dresser?

No freaking way...

4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

No, I'm saying there is probably no way they would vote for a cross dresser. As I recall there was a guy who a city manager in a suburb of Tampa and when he came out as a cross dresser he lost his job. I was saying that for a moral relativist you are being awful judgemental of those southerners who would not vote for the cross dresser.

5. Mercor

Mercor

999 out of 1000 towns from anywhere in the world are not going to vote for a cross-dresser.

In many parts of the world he would be put to death.

Don't pick on the south.

6. "No, I'm saying there is probably no way they would vote for a cross dresser."

So you are agreeing with me but I am being judgmental?

Facing the facts of life in the south is being judgmental?

LOL!

7. Why defend the south because they are as fundamentalist and crazy as Muslim nations?

Oh yes, you too are a radical fundamentalist...as long as the fundamentals are the ones you adhere to...

Jesus Christ, some guy wears women's clothes and you would get your panties in a bunch and judge his ability to do his job?

Typical ignorant klannish republican who makes shallow face value decisions...

Who gives a fuck if he wears women's clothing?

Why the fuck do we care what people wear?

8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Turns out that I have a brother who is gay, so you might want to rethink that one. I have no problem with gay people, and I would vote for anyone who was qualified to do the job. I was making a point about you, not the south, not the Mayor.

9. This guy who is a transvestite is not gay you idiot.

He has a girlfriend of 35 years.

This ain't one bit about gay, you just proved it with your stupidity of confusing a transvestite who is straight with someone who is gay.

10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Your losing your mind zzz. I can read, and my point with my brother. One would think that it would say to you that I don't care who a person sleeps with or what they dress like. I'm sorry you appear to be drinking again.

#10     Nov 9, 2008