I dont know which one to pick

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by polopo, Mar 29, 2002.

1. I kind of like mbtrading. free level 2 is great. and exec speed is less than 3 sec. other choice is iB trading, but i dont like their software and bad tech support.:p

#11     Apr 4, 2002
  2. Maybe we are forgetting the other best ones.

#12     Apr 4, 2002
  3. After all this past week's string of outages I think most everyone would like to have temporary amnesia regarding IB. Hope switching the switch does the trick.

If it hasn't already, this latest episode should burn the term "backup broker" into every trader's cerebral cortex.

#13     Apr 4, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

I'd be astonished if it was a switch. A switch that IB would use would certainly be a Managed Switch. These switches are constanly monitored by software, and they report excessive CRC errors on a port, etc.

I suppose it is possible if the switch's output wasn't being watched by _HUMANS_.

Further, if they have a fault tolerant system (which from the grapevine I hear they tried/implemented,) but they failed to take into account a failed switch (probably a bad port or even a bad cable) they made an elementary boboo in HA (<- High Availability)

But come to think of it, since the TWS "system" is (almost certainly ?) "push technology" (IP Multicasting) and there are so many reports of different people having the same problem, it is either the _WHOLE_ switch, or not the switch at all.

Oh well, I can drive myself crazy without taking a look at it..

nitro

#14     Apr 4, 2002
  5. With so much on the line This problem should be fixed shortly. These days with tech guys on call 24 hours they should have this problem resolved if not already.

The system failing temporarily is a learning experience. Better now than when the market really starts to roll. Have a good weekend and get the land line # just in case.

The back up idea isn't bad- it won't hurt. :cool:

#15     Apr 5, 2002
  6. What ones are we forgetting? PM me if you don't want to post.

#16     Apr 5, 2002