I don't buy this rally

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pumpanddumper, Jan 29, 2008.

1. I wouldn't go as far as calling the downtrend to be reversed, but the areas you outlined definitely require close attention. This could develop into something. This week has important datapoints (ISM, GDP, NFP), we will see how those sectors react to the data.

#11     Jan 29, 2008
  2. smart money is never wrong, and they have been buying banks since 08th January. Of course there can be one or other panic day on some "news" about a hedge fund collapsing but this does not change the scenario that the recession is fully priced in and even some bank collaps.
    People are so surprised that we head into a recession but you could see that on the yield curves since 12 months now !!!
    Yes, we get a recession and yes, we will make new highs this year.

#12     Jan 29, 2008
  3. balda

balda

After sharp sell off market goes up for the second day in a row. What's not to be sure about? That is a bottom by any TA standard.

#13     Jan 29, 2008
  4. S2007S

S2007S

I added some more shorts and inversefunds, however my portfolio is still set for any major moves higher.

#14     Jan 29, 2008
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

What about monolines and credit default swaps...and the time bomb of credit card debt?

Subprime is mostly old news, but there are plenty of other concerns. The financial sector is due for this short-term bounce, but it isn't out of the woods yet.

#15     Jan 29, 2008
  6. You don't know what you're missing:)

Alex

#16     Jan 29, 2008
  7. Yeah, bad call today. F me, should of stayed on sideline till fed pump and dump. I have upside protection thats working out though.

I think .75 is baked in now.:D

#17     Jan 29, 2008
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

I think this morning's open was premature, but we're setting up for a beautiful short soon. I hate to admit it, but I agree with "Cramer's bottom" for the short-term. However, it's WAY to obvious, just like many other "bottoms" and "reversal patterns" that have shown up since the low 1500s on the S&P. Very good chance we'll break that and have a genuine chance to buy low later on.

#18     Jan 29, 2008
  9. Think everyone is justing waiting for tomorrow and setting up to dump into any FED spike. Feels a little pre-mature right now. MY crystal ball failed me today.:p

#19     Jan 29, 2008
  10. S2007S

S2007S

.75 was baked in last week,

.50 tomorrow afternoon and the markets may gain some more ground, .25 and the markets should sell off on this news, no move and the markets could drop 1-2%.

#20     Jan 29, 2008