I did some spying on some of your favorite trading gurus.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by focusonmoney, Jul 20, 2011.

1. EXACTLY !!

its still bewilders me as to the number of clueless people on this site that ask if those trading courses are worth the money.

If the person(s) selling these services were actually consistently making money on a live acct, they sure as hell wouldn't be wasting their time selling online trading courses. **

** giving exception to PROVEN traders like BONE(ET Moderator), and so far he is the only person on here worth the price of admission, if you have the money and aptitude.

#11     Jul 20, 2011
  2. Lucias

Lucias

haha Bone is proven. Do you know what 100k compounds to over 18 years at 25%? It compounds to over 10 million dollar. Bone claims he isn't getting rich but makes a living. A paltry 10% of 10 million is over a 1 million per year. He claims to have been profitable over 18 of those years. He also claims to know every high profile prop firm and trader which meant he had access to all the capital in the world. And he still just makes a living.. lol

Also FocusOnMoney, I rip a lot of vendors but what you are doing is silly and probably wrong too -- on more then 1 level. It is very difficult to create proper backtests and almost impossible for discretionary methods -- which is what most vendors promote. Your backtests are more worthless then the worthless courses you found for free.

#12     Jul 20, 2011
  3. the1

the1

Those who can do. Those who can't teach.

#13     Jul 20, 2011
  4. Even if he doesn't want to identify the specific trading course, I'd still be interested in hearing results.

#14     Jul 20, 2011
  5. Lucias

Lucias

A lot of people who can do teach.. this is more bs.

I was mentored by some of the best programmers . They were all very willing to share and teach. Teaching is actually integral to elite performance.

I would say that those who can do not only teach. There are 2 types of teachers, those who are driven to teach for teaching sake and they are very good teachers and then there are the reluctant teachers who like me would be partially competitive with the student.

Maybe those who can do at the highest levels are only interested in teaching those who have significant talent.

#15     Jul 20, 2011
  6. Lucias

Lucias

Why? I spend over a year on my trading system programming it. Do you think he spent a year trying to backtest each course accurately?

I think whatever he would present would be utterly worthless. If he learned something worthwhile (that wasn't in a random course) then he should have just presented that and not mentioned the courses. I don't expect much though..

#16     Jul 20, 2011
  7. the1

the1

Agreed. I've taught in the past but the majority of the services out there aren't worth the prices they charge and the reason they try to teach is because they can't make money trading their own capital. You get vague instructions on when to buy and sell and the topic being taught is generally a "system" when the correct approach to teaching someone how to trade is to start by training them to think as a trader. The biggest hurdle to success is the organ between your ears.

#17     Jul 20, 2011
  8. Most likely not. I've found if the assumptions are very specific you can have the complete strategies ready in a few hours. Then a few days of tweaking when you study the results.

I guess the point would be to identify the courses explicitly, though.

#18     Jul 20, 2011
  9. Bob111

Bob111

programmers..it's a totally different field..they got their own jobs and you will not compete with them directly. it's like karate guru sharing his knowledge with his students.. trading(stocks in particular) is completely different.COMPLETELY. i won't teach you anything regardless,simply because next day we have to compete against each other for same shares at same price,using same exact technique,with exact same goals(stops,targets,exits)
    if you believe that the market is huge-i can assure you-it's not
    btw-define the best programmers. to me-it's bill gates,sergey brin and so on. those,who come up with unique ideas and able to monetize them. not some nerds with huge experience,who works for 30 years on salary for someone else

#19     Jul 20, 2011
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

Exactly. Often these system sellers give you a hodge-podge of different methods. They tell you it requires "screen time" to figure out when to trade each setup. Very few give you a system with precise rules and say "trade exactly like this and you'll win in the long-term."

FocusonMoney didn't even say which software he used to to test, what periods he tested (last 20 years? last 2 weeks?),etc.

#20     Jul 20, 2011