I did it!...I just configured and ordered a Athlon Dual Core from CyberPowerSystems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I left the 10k - 36.7GB. I want to try 10k and see....(and hear)

#41     Mar 13, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

SLI for trading? Ridiculous. The best trading rigs are reliable, low power, low noise, with no heat problems.

#42     Mar 13, 2006
  3. What is SLI anyways....

#43     Mar 13, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

#44     Mar 13, 2006
  5. There might be some point in using an SLI motherboard - not for SLI, but rather because they come with two PCIe x 16 slots which can be used indepenently for two graphics cards such as NVS285 (in x8 PCIe mode). At least the specs for some of these SLI board state this.

#45     Mar 13, 2006
  6. ahhh..so if I do not add another card..SLI does shit...

SLI Last modified: Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Acronym for Scalable Link Interface

NVIDIA SLI (Scalable Link Interface)technology links two graphics cards together to provide scalability and increased performance. NVIDIA SLI takes advantage of the increased bandwidth of the PCI Express bus architecture, and features hardware and software innovations within NVIDIA GPUs (graphics processing units) and NVIDIA MCPs (media and communications processors). Depending on the application, NVIDIA SLI can deliver as much as two times the performance of a single GPU configuration.

#46     Mar 13, 2006
  7. True, but... Try finding a decent board with the most recent chip set and additional extras (PCIe, etc) that does not have SLI. Not to say that you can't, but just more difficult. I really doubt SLI is going to cause any problems - remember, these boards are built to keep gamers happy. If you can keep gamers happy, I would suggest that traders will be just as happy.

Glad to see you went with the 4200 - worth the incremental cost I think!

#47     Mar 13, 2006
  8. Yeah but they charged me 73 bucks xtra....but its still worth it I guess. I really feel guilty for buying this system...I am one sick puppy when it comes to spending money...

#48     Mar 13, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

Just because your rig has 2 PCIE X16 slots doesn't mean you have to have 2 high powered video cards.

#49     Mar 13, 2006
  10. anyways...

I will be lucky if I get this system by the end of the month. They said thay are swamped with orders to build.

I will post here to this thread when I get it and after I get Windows XP pro installed...

I appreciate all the comments and if there are any late comers with hardware knowledge, it is not too late for me to cancel/amend my order...So speak up! I know I could probably save 500 bucks on a normal computer and not a HotRod, but will I have less reliability and longevity with this rig?

My TRS 80, Commodore 64 and Timex Sinclair...are going in the trash! (they have been my friends for decades :))

Michael B.

#50     Mar 13, 2006