I did it!...I just configured and ordered a Athlon Dual Core from CyberPowerSystems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Mar 10, 2006.

1. For those of you that know me...I am frugel...but I can spend money for a good value...

Please be kind to me....This is big for me... real big...

Michael B.

P.S. what kills me is that I got to go buy two 970P's Samsungs for $469.00 each! (I just finished buying two for my older Pentium III rig...I love that Rig)

P.P.S. I am a very good negotiator, but Cyberpower would not give me free shipping...I am losing my touch! (they are good and they know it)

#21     Mar 10, 2006
  2. Savant -- that thing is worth a lot more than your LeBaron.

#22     Mar 10, 2006
  3. gawd...I know...but I love that car...I bought it for 2k CASH... ten years ago...could you imagine having 1k a month in car and insurance paym'ts...nope not me...

#23     Mar 10, 2006
  4. While this may be true once applications are loaded, in general, hard drive speed is the biggest bottleneck with today's computers. You should see general improvement using a 10k RPM drive with any type of disk-related activites - booting, copying/moving files, etc. The latest Raptors are much more quiet than the originals (I have a few of the originals and they are louder than those old 10Mb drives that came with 8088 IBM PC-XT machines).

If you have the $$, go for the 10k Raptor. :)

#24     Mar 10, 2006
  5. Congrats and enjoy the new monster. You seem to be prudent and other than the hard drive noise I think you'll be happy. As for the video, that little bit of overkill is ok. It shows you'll take a bit of a risk when you can see it (giggle). Who know's, one day you just might frag something! :)

#25     Mar 10, 2006
  6. Thanks Canyon...the Asian fellow at Cyber said that the GT would work better with two monitors...(its like pulling teeth to get Cyber to make a recommendation...they are terrible sales people)

But in trading, I only need 2D graphics, so your probably correct...

Michael B.

#26     Mar 10, 2006
  7. babbby...I am a pro! :) Do you think I will notice an increase in performance from my Timex Sinclair and a Commodore 64!!!:))

I mean hardware performance...not trading hehe :)

Michael B.

#27     Mar 10, 2006
  8. Yep...

#28     Mar 10, 2006
  9. I got a couple of old CyberPower computers (2001 & 2003). They worked great and still do...no problems.

Great prices for customizing exactly what you want.

BTW.....my last 2 computers are Dell. I realized any cheap reliable box will do what I want. (I don't do any backtesting or number crunching - just watching realtime charts, trading and surfing)

Power is not what most need. A good ISP and a good night sleep is the best "hardware" in this business. Also....having a second system on stand by with everything tied into an UPS is great insurance.

#29     Mar 10, 2006
  10. reiehaxm,

I have a Yamaha 4-stroke gasoline power generator ...seriously ... (I have a little lamp if the power goes out at night to plug in)

Two isp's and 4 rigs..cordless phones with an old fashioned one that does not rely upon power...backups on 2gb flash drives that are REMOVED from the system and Mcaffee.

My vulnerabilities are that everything is on one network..no wait...the new computer will be on the cable modem...Damn... I need a third system...like T1 or something to surf with!

Can you believe I do not have a cell phone? I need one in case the landlines go out...

If cable and the DSL goes out at the same time...then I got to run to a 24 hr. Kinko's down the street, as Oanda's charts and platform are Web-based and can be logged into from any location.

Michael B.

#30     Mar 10, 2006