I deleted Windows 10 for a Linux OS - now I want Windows 10 back.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by OptionsOptionsOptions, Nov 17, 2020.

• I bought an off-the-shelf Acer computer from Best Buy a few years ago and replaced Windows 10 with a Linux OS.
    • Now I want to replace the Linux OS with Windows 10.
    • I assume I still have a license for Windows 10 on this machine.
    • I have no receipts for the computer.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

1. Overnight

Overnight

Your BIOS might point to a hidden "Win10 recovery partition" on it.

ET180 and OptionsOptionsOptions like this.
  2. ph1l

ph1l

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...er-linux/d9042340-0c30-4402-bef6-8c5484f4fb5c

OptionsOptionsOptions likes this.
  3. ET180

ET180

Unless the linux installation gave him the option to wipe the entire hard drive and reparition it. A while ago, I think I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft and was able to install it (clean install) on a laptop that came with Windows 8.1 installed. I don't recall the details, but I think MS recognized the computer and did not prompt me for a product key.

OptionsOptionsOptions likes this.
  4. xandman

xandman

5. Windows 10 does not really work with product keys anymore nowadays. When you login with your Microsoft account windows checks whether a hardware harsh is stored in the Microsoft account. If yes then windows gets automatically activated. So if the hardware has not changed then most likely that's the way to use an existing license even if you don't have the key itself anymore. If the key was an OEM key then you are out of luck as that's not tied to a user account but to a machine itself.

Bad_Badness and CALLumbus like this.
  6. themickey

themickey

Innocent query, what for do you want Windows 10 again?

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

To run Solitaire on it.

Microsoft's free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users ended a few years ago, but you can still technically upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge. ... Assuming your PC supports the minimum requirements for Windows 10, you'll be able to upgrade from Microsoft's site. Jan 14, 2020

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/

8. themickey

themickey

Hmmmm, thanks, somehow that reminded me, tomorrow I must buy a new pair of jeans. s-l640.jpg

9. Just wanted to say that after running Linux on VmWare for years I recently moved to Kbuntu 20.04 on the host. It is an incredible piece of work and I don't miss anything from Windows.

#10     Nov 18, 2020