I closed my IB account

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hoodooman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Enginer

Enginer

W98 has some legacy features that TWS may not be supporting. It is not clear if your version changed in the last few days. IB programers may not even be testing updates on something as old as W98, and may need a bugfix. I've used CP/M, DOS, W3.0, 3.1,95, 98SE NT3.0 4.0 W2K and W XP Pro. All have >some< problems but 95 and 98 had the most with changing programing standards. XP solved some of that by dropping old API calls/messages. W98 was far the worst with with what is called "DLL Hell." Even a simple game installation can shoot my wife's W98 machine out of the water on a program that was running "yesterday" just fine. Java on W98 scares me....

#81     Jun 15, 2005
  2. if you upgraded or want to re-install tws, make sure you click on the NEW links created in the start menu. sometimes the old links don't work since they change the command line parameters in the link. this was a known problem some versions ago.

#82     Jun 16, 2005
  3. =======

Thats what i told the computer lady at the repair shop;
    after they fixed my HPQ/Compaq/Windows 98. Thanks.

Like HPQ/Compaq/WindowsXP home better.

However something else I can seriously say ,
    in favor of Windows 98,
    Windows 98 will help you appreciate
    like the older market makers paper sheets.:cool:

May not be SMART in the strictest sense, but it was still helpful.

#83     Jun 16, 2005
  4. Well, if you closed your account, I expect that it won't let you sign on.

What were the symptoms before you closed your account?

#84     Jun 16, 2005
  5. They were anything but basic. If it's basic stuff I consider it my responsiblity to know the user manual inside and out and not waste support staff time with that kind of stuff.

My calls were related to questions about uncertain status of an order, TWS just popping off the screen (turned out to be caused by spyware), and a question about account funding. I don't recall the other call, other than it was some weird technical glitch which involved several calls.

If IB staff is treated more or less the way they are spoken about on this board, then I understand why they might not be real keen to help. As I've said before, you can't treat them like dirt and expect any real help.

#85     Jun 16, 2005