I closed my IB account

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hoodooman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. This is true, but for less than $100 more they'll extend it to 2 years' worth of on-site service. I got a 4700 with 3GHz, 1GB, the half-decent external video card, and a 2-year warranty for around $800. Fast enough for everything (except IB charting. :))

As to the original poster's problem, it may help to try the standalone version of TWS. Uninstalling and reinstalling java, which it sounds like you may have done, will occasionally foul up all browser-based applets - not just IB, but also Ameritrade and others... the issue is that there's leftover gunk in the registry from the previous version of java that may refer to nonexistent files.

#51     Jun 15, 2005
  2. I have SE v 1.40 installed

#52     Jun 15, 2005
  3. mhashe

mhashe

I suspect your problem was Wincrap 98.

I have'nt had any TWS issues except that with Ensign software my top-of-the-line CPU gets really stressed out with all that Java running.

#53     Jun 15, 2005
  4. A few days ago my msn internet connection crapped up my computer and I had to down load msn 9 to get reconnected. That is the only thing that has changed and the tws worked fine.

Any more ideas.

I don't like the idea of buying something new when my computer was working fine yesterday.

Furthermore, I recall that a lot of people were moaning about the later versions of msft's os after 2000 came out. I think the problem is that no one at IB will walk me through this thing because they just don't give a damn.

Regards to all who have been trying to help.

#54     Jun 15, 2005
  5. I have 98 on a backup (the Sinclair is the primary) and while its sluggish, IB does run.

#55     Jun 15, 2005
  6. I was thinking about upgrading to the Commodore 64, but am still waiting for the price to fall lower....

#56     Jun 15, 2005

7. Exactly. As I understand it, this is your emergency exit if you need it. Right on the IB website.

A guy from IB technical support returned my call w/in an hour and told me just what file to delete to fix my TWS. It acts up maybe twice a year - big deal. The exchanges crash as much. Plus in my heart of hearts, I know my troubles are caused by the filth I look at from elsewhere.

Geo.

#57     Jun 15, 2005
  8. alanm

alanm

hoodoo: Like you and Quah understand, the key is to figure out what happened between yesterday and today, rather than throw random software and hardware upgrades at it.

Can you describe, in detail, exactly what steps you are taking to attempt to log in, and exactly what happens? This will help diagnose the problem.

Are you going to the IB website and choosing Login->Trade->TWS?

Are you able to log into WebTrader (Login->Trade->WebTrader)?

Are you able to log into AMS (Login->Account Management Menu)?

#58     Jun 15, 2005
  9. Trader5287,

I suggest you clean up your act, and stop viewing ET.

#59     Jun 15, 2005
  10. Run some spyware software, like AdAware or Spybot. You'd be amazed at what spyware can cause that seems or appears to be totally unrelated. Also make sure anti-virus stuff is up to date and do full scan. Do a disk clean up and defrag.

btw- how long since a clean install of OS? If it's over a year or 2 that could be a major problem. Sometimes files are corrupted in such a way that only occaisional problems crop up.

Finally, EVERY serious trader I know of runs broker software on a box and NOTHING else. To do otherwise is gambling, period.

Now, as to win98, lets see that was, oh, 'bout 7 years ago that OS came out.

#60     Jun 15, 2005