I closed my IB account

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hoodooman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. hoodoo man

Also consider your processor speed and memory.

You can buy win xp OEM version for $100.

Go to general web search and just type in windows xp, you should find a retailer that offers an OEM version (CD only).

#31     Jun 15, 2005
  2. Thanks Echotrader

I had my processor and memory upgraded. Plenty of resourses.
    Still trying to open this TWS

#32     Jun 15, 2005
  3. When when you open a command (DOS style) window and type in java -version (and hit return), does anything happen?

If not, you may need to add java to your PATH windows environment variable. I know that in XP, I don't have to set PATH because the public JRE is copied into the window/system32 path making it the default system java version. You might have to set the PATH explicitly in win 98.

Info on setting the PATH environment variable:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows.html#Environment

go to the secction " 5. Update the PATH variable (Optional) "

TWS may want the JAVA_HOME windows environment variable set. Can't remember if that is needed.

You may need to add the java location to the TWS startup string. If so, right click on the TWS icon > Properties and look at Target. Maybe you need to add an option like
    -vm c:\j2sdk1.4.2_07\jre\bin\javaw.exe

#33     Jun 15, 2005
  4. Quah

Quah

Why would he need to do anything - much less add a path statement?

Unless, of course, beteween yesterday and today he removed a path statement.

Again - what changed between yesterday and today?

And Hoodoo - why are your still trying to open it - you closed your account, move on......

#34     Jun 15, 2005
  5. ktm

ktm

I run TWS 847 on my Commodore 64.

#35     Jun 15, 2005
  6. garbo

garbo

Dude, get a new computer.

I have tried a lot of brokers and IB is the best. I would drop them in a second if I found a better one, but until that happens, I will stick with them.

They are very good on the technical end and they don't like to do a lot of handholding. It is a known fact that Win98 is a buggy product. Win2000 represented a vast improvement. I can't imagine they are going to spend a lot of time with you trying to sort out your problems on a Win98 machine.

You shouldn't have any trouble running TWS on a new machine.

#36     Jun 15, 2005
  7. da-net

da-net

Your older computer may need to be replaced especially if JUST21 is right that he was able to recover 27 Gigabytes by cleaning his system. If your computer will not run Win 2K or XP then pickup a copy of ME upgrade as its memory handlers are better.

There are some things you could do that would cost very little. pick up a copy of System Suite v4 or 5 will do. Use them to clean and defrag your registry (reclean your system weekly to maintain performance). Download a copy of Disk Keeper Lite and use it daily to defrag hard drive. Download all the latest MS patches and their antispyware beta, then clean the system out. Then run the Panda Software online virus cleaner. Your system will probably perk right back up. If you have an older hard drive laying around that is good install it on the second drive channel, partition and format it. Then use it as your virtual memory drive. If the drive is a WD or Fujitsu you will see a definite performance improvement.

#37     Jun 15, 2005
  8. I have heard that ME is a lot worse than 98 overall. I don't know if this is sound advice.

You should just get a new box - prices are dirt cheap, and you can even get free financing at most places and pay it off without interest over 3-12 months.

#38     Jun 15, 2005
  9. da-net

da-net

What I have suggested I have seen in practice on hundreds of systems. You would be correct about the first releases of ME. As to him buying a new box...you might want to check the "warranty" that is being supplied by manufacturers like DELL on their cheap stuff. They have reduced it to 90 days.

#39     Jun 15, 2005
  10. Sometimes, a re-format is in order.

I've had some good expierence with computers over the years.

I've noticed that when I couldn't get somethings that I downloaded to work, I reforamatted and then, they worked.

Computers are weird that way, sometimes, when certain things are downloaded, it screws up things.

You may even "un-install", and that still doesn't fix matters.

Sorry for your troubles hoodooman ... I hope you get it solved.

#40     Jun 15, 2005