I claim all of Chemistry should be taught from this article

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by nitro, Nov 27, 2011.

1. nitro

nitro

2. nitro

nitro

Seems to me that "Iron Man" suits should be made from Mercury. Mercury doesn't expand on solidifying. So wearing a mercury suit, and cooling it to -40 degrees F would solidify it. Going back to room temperature would make it liquid again.

If you could instantly cool it and heat it up at will, it could be an interesting material for "Clothing." Coupled to a high speed computer that detected incoming projectiles, you wouldn't need a bullet proof vest, just wear your specialized cyber-mercury clothing.

Also, what if cars were made of chilled Mercury? On impact, it could be heated and it would turn liquid, and car crashes would no longer be fatal (I think - water is less compressible than most things).

I love this metal.

3. Did you consider weight in your analysis:confused:

4. Actually, in the practical sense water isn't compressible. <2% volume change measured in the deepest ocean depths.

5. nitro

nitro

Huh? We just said the same thing. My point is that if Mercury is not compressible, it might be worse than steel in an accident, since "crunching" is what dampens force which saves lives.

6. nitro

nitro

Uh, I don't know if the entire suit would have to be made of mercury. Perhaps some synthetic fibre that combined the strength of mercury when solid, and the pliability of it when liquid.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Isn't mercury toxic to humans?

8. Well, the Hg would have be be "encased" in a solid structure... so that when under pressure, the liquid has "no place to go"... as in a hydraulic pump. Is that what you had in mind?

9. Encase the mercury in kevlar.

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

It's only FIVE times heavier than aluminum. :)

#10     Nov 28, 2011