I can't program...what platform should I use.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Moptop, Feb 15, 2021.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Interactive Brokers. API guide here:
    https://interactivebrokers.github.io/tws-api/introduction.html

Note choice of languages: C#, Python, VB, Java, C++. Start with Python.

A good first program is to subscribe to MD for AAPL (or your favorite equity) and echo price updates to the console.

#11     Feb 15, 2021
  2. Moptop

Moptop

So isn't Python just a coding language? I basically have to create my own platform then or are there any good platforms that use python?

#12     Feb 15, 2021
  3. Moptop

Moptop

Can you fully automate with Quantshare? I didnt look like it when I scanned the site.

#13     Feb 15, 2021
  4. El Trado

El Trado

Yes. Python is a programming language.

Every decent broker provide sn api that works with Python, so you can just make your orders directly. No need for whatever you mean with platform. To buy or sell can often be done in one line of code.

And if you want already made code, Github has thousands of Python libraries you can just use for almost any trading realated task.

#14     Feb 16, 2021
  5. I think he asked Plateform " FOR NON PROGRAMMERS".

#15     Feb 16, 2021
  6. userque

userque

His first coding project probably shouldn't be a trading/backtesting/analytics optimized python app. (Especially since everyone is not cut out to code beyond 'hello world.')

#16     Feb 16, 2021
    d08 likes this.
  7. El Trado

El Trado

Nope. He wrote that he does not know how to program. Hence, I assume he might be willing to learn it. If not, he should just forget algotrading. Because algotrading with drag and drop tools or silly premade tools is doomed from the start.

#17     Feb 16, 2021
    cafeole likes this.
  8. El Trado

El Trado

Agree. He should learn the basics of programming before starting a big project.

But, you can do very simple stuff by just a few lines of code:

For example this is all you need to open a trade:

import oandapyV20
    import oandapyV20.endpoints.orders as orders
    client = oandapyV20.API(access_token='123456')
    r = orders.OrderCreate(accountID='12345', data={"instrument": "EUR_USD","units": "-100"})

For those of you that do not know programming, the first two lines are for importing the libraries and the third line is to "login".

Hence, those lines do not need to be repeated. So closing this order will just be:
    r = orders.OrderCreate(accountID='12345', data={"instrument": "EUR_USD","units": "100"})

So a small algorithm that for example checks if the price is above / below the moving average, and if so fills an order, can be done with less than 5 lines of Python code

#18     Feb 16, 2021
  9. easymon1

easymon1

What's the verdict?

#19     Mar 8, 2021
  10. Moptop

Moptop

I started with Trade Navigator, and even though it doesn't have some functionality that I want, I'm going to stick with it for now. I do think it has the easiest language to learn. I just went live with my auto trading last night.

I may move to Amibroker in the future if I need more functionality. I would have started with it if I had a do over.

#20     Mar 8, 2021