I can't get the parts to fix my car.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by countryBoy641, Jun 10, 2021.

1. I have a 2017 Honda CRV. Not a rare car. Not an old car.
    The Air Conditioning was not working very well, so called the Honda dealer near me, told the woman the problem, and dropped the car off 2 days ago. The woman called yesterday, told me it needed a so-and-so hose. But Honda can't locate one.
    I told her I would just leave the car there until they get the part, then please fix it.
    So, I thought about it overnight, and I started thinking this might not happen so fast.
    The big government people have this thing about air conditioning, whatever.
    So I was thinking this part may be unavailable for a few months.
    And I am not going to leave one of my cars at a car dealer for a "few months".
    So I decided to pick it up today.
    Turns out, it's not just air conditioning ... can't get Honda parts for a lot of stuff ... like brake pads. What??
    And she says it's not just Honda, it's most makes.
    OMG.
    The stock market is at all time highs, and I am posting this in the Econ forum.
    Is this for real ???
    Has everybody lost their minds?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. One of the downsides to the government paying people to stay home and play video games... instead of going to work and making things.

3. 2rosy

2rosy

there's a market for foreign car parts. Not sure if it's modernized at all these days

Gambit likes this.
  4. I have been saying this in the econ forum and other threads for months now. We are completely blind to the economic implications of this pandemic but more importantly, the games China is playing. It holds back crucial parts and manufacturing for North America while it runs peak capacity production for domestic consumption. Ever heard of a break pad shortage in China? No? Because there is none. SunTrader and all the other Chinese jokers who constantly attack me for spreading racism know perfectly well that what I state is the absolute truth. China is still playing games and is not abiding by international fair and mutual beneficial trade practices. Many American and Canadian or Japanese brands who source parts from China are completely sold out, on Amazon or elsewhere. They can't produce with parts missing. But the copycat products by Chinese brands or nonames are all available. It's called unfair share of the pie expansion.

MKTrader and TimtheEnchanter like this.
  5. bone

bone

Well, you're waiting on parts from Japan?

Order both a discharge line and a suction line online from Rock Auto or NAPA. Take it to a reputable repair shop that does A/C work. Tell them to replace the hoses, pull a vacuum on the system, and re-charge the refrigerant.

And it will save you a shit ton of money compared to a Honda Dealer.

You're welcome.

6. My problem is bigger than getting an "OEM" part.
    The machine needed to charge the AC on my 2017 Honda costs $25K.
    It's called "1-2-3-4" refrigerant.
    This is already way more than I want to know about this stuff.
    But suffice it to say only Honda has the machine, and Honda only installs Honda parts.
    'Nuff said.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. lindq

lindq

Find a good independent mechanic, and never take your car to the dealer if it is out of the warranty period. Many replacement parts are often generic and/or available outside a dealer supply chain. If the dealer tells you a part is not available, that means they don't have it (in order to mark it up 300%). It doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And you can recharge your own air conditioning for just a few dollars. It will take you 5 minutes. Man up and check auto parts stores near you.

Or, you can continue to be one of those guys who walks into a dealer with a sign reading "kick me!"

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. Gambit

Gambit

Thanks to the OP and those who responded. “Man skills” and knowing how to shop/source seem to be going up in value these days.

Trader200K likes this.
  9. smallfil

smallfil

Do not trust everything the dealer tells you. My friend's car had a small leak. Dealer wanted to charge him over $3,000. Took him to my mechanic who inspected his old car. Told him not worth to spend $3,000 to fix the slow leak. Instead, my mechanic suggested he just add oil to his engine from time to time, checking his fluid levels. In addition, my mechanic waived the $35 inspection fee, he usually charges. Oh, he fixes Hondas too and uses their car parts because he orders original parts only. Hard to believe other mechanics cannot install Honda parts in a Honda car?

10. Trader200K

Trader200K

“Man Skills”...

Going a lot higher soon ...

#10     Jun 10, 2021