I can't decide.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayS, Jun 4, 2002.

1. JayS

JayS

Dual 18
    [​IMG]

Triple 15
    [​IMG]

Both run around 2k.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

My personal preference is the dual 18 inch setup. In fact, that's what I use.

3. JayS

JayS

Baron,

Whats the best video card to go with the Dual 18 & then with the Tripe 15? Have a friend thats a Dell dealer, will get everything else from him except the card.

When I say the best I mean the price of the card compared to its quality.

Thanks for your help (and opinion),

JayS

4. Let see

2 18" give you 2 x 1280 x 1024 = 2.6 mil pixels
    3 15" give you 3 x 1024 x 768 = 2.3 mil pixels

Go for the 2 18", Assuming the 15" max resolution is 1024 x 768

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The only thing I don't like about those Mass Multiples monitor setups is the fact that they don't accept DVI connections, but rather use the older VGA connectors. It's no big deal but if I was going to drop a couple grand on monitors, I would want them to be a little more "future proof" since the industry is moving away from analog controllers and displays.

But for the sake of argument, let's say you did get those, so therefore you won't need a video card with DVI outputs. That means you'll need a multihead card with VGA outputs that can do at least 1280 x 1024. I don't even know if there is a "best" card to meet those qualifications because there are so many available that will do the job these days. Matrox, Appian, Nvidia, and ATI all have multi-port cards with vga outputs that will easily handle the graphics requirements of your trading applications. In fact, you could use a 4-year old card from Appian Graphics or Matrox, and they would still handle your graphics needs with no problems (assuming of course you aren't also using 3-D appliations like games, CAD, etc. on the same machine.)

In the past two years, multi-monitor video cards vith VGA outputs have become commodities so if I were you, I would simply look around the net for the best deal you can find in your favorite brand.

6. JayS

JayS

Thanks a bunch.

Do you know anyone else that has DVI connections thats a similiar setup? (ie: one stand multi-monitor) If not what are the preferred brands of choice for LCD's with DVI connections?

Thanks again

7. JAy-

find 2 18" LCD monitors that are wall mountable, and that have dvi input....then you can buy the VESA ergo arms and make your own setup..and probably save a few bucks too.

uptik
    go to tigerdirect.com(or whatever u like) buy 2 18" for $700 a piece
    then go to ergontron.com to buy the stand for $265
    Thats about $1600

the massmultiple product is $2400
    You save $800 to party with.

8. ddefina

ddefina

Here's my recommended setup:

The 12 Monitor Overkiller

9. Babak

Babak

ddefina,

LMAO!:D :D

How about just renting an IMAX theatre for the trading hours?:p

10. DT-waw

DT-waw

Woow! Great idea! :) :) 3D charts... or watch NYSE or CBOT floor trading action at IMAX with your hands on the laptop - you'll feel like a real trader, man!

#10     Jun 6, 2002